Author Topic: Molly/Mollie Brown father Robert Alfred Brown  (Read 1051 times)

Offline windsor26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Molly/Mollie Brown father Robert Alfred Brown
« on: Saturday 10 April 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
Robert Alfred Brown born 24th Jan 1901 (father Alfred) in Yorkshire came to London when his mother remarried and was shown incorrectly in the 1911 census as Robert A Faucheux (the step father's name)
I know he married and had a daughter Molly/Mollie born around 1929-1932 but am not sure of his wife's name (possibly Dorothy but only an impression)
The only Molly I can find is a death information for Molly Ada Grace in  Brighton born 24th Sep 1932 and died 27th June 1992 also Brighton  I believe my cousin Molly did not marry.
I cannot find a marriage that links as a certaity although there are two with the groom's father shown as Alfred which is correct which may be Dilly or Lawrence but cannot find a Molly/Mollie with a mother of that name.
Can anyone give me some advice or suggestions on where to go next without me spending out on certificates which at present would be difficult.  Thank you all in advance   I do wish my family did not have such common names

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Molly/Mollie Brown father Robert Alfred Brown
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
Have you found Robert on the 1939 register to establish his wife's name - available on subscription sites only.  Lookups not allowed due to copyright

Have you checked freebmd for births for the daughter to establish her mothers maiden name?

www.freebmd.org.uk

Where did you get his full birthdate from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline windsor26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
I do not know of the 1939 register so have not used it  I only belong to ancestry and their site does not give me anything I can be sure about.  His birthdate was given on military forms of his stepfather as his  children he was obliged to provide for.   As said BMD  has not assisted at all as I do not have a link between any mother's name and a marriage to Robert so cannot be sure and do not know the areas for certain where he may have lived  I did try BMD for about 8 days constantly with all things I could think of
I know he was born in Yorkshire  I know he lived with his mother as a lodger in 1901 census and as said with his stepfather and family under the wrong name in 1911 census    I know he livd around the south of England when I was a child but not exactly where.   Thanks for your quick reply

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 02:26 BST (UK) »
She may have been known as Molly but it is also a pet form for 'Mary' so something to bear in mind.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 03:30 BST (UK) »
Also, found his mother on London electoral rolls and in various years her 'Brown' sons are with her -
Edgar and Herbert are shown with both their christian names, as one would expect, but Robert Alfred appears to be with her in 1928 and 1929 as just 'Alfred' so seems to have dropped his first name at that time.   Was this just a temporary thing or did it continue throughout his life I wonder??

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline windsor26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 21 03:39 BST (UK) »
We  always knew him as Alfie and my father called him that so he probably always used Alfred but surely for marriage he would have had to use his official name in full?  Once he left his mother Agnes's home I lost him although I have a feeling that Brighton or that area was where he lived at some time in his life (only childhood sort of memories)    I will try hunting on BMD for Mary and see if I can find anything that way  Thanks again for replies

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 21 07:25 BST (UK) »
There's no such thing as an "official" name ;D

The Laws of England & Wales allow a person to call themselves anything they like, just as long as there is no intention to deceive or defraud.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
His mother left a will, have you got it in case he is mentioned

I do not know of the 1939 register so have not used it  I only belong to ancestry and their site does not give me anything I can be sure about. 

The 1939 register is available on Ancestry
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 April 21 08:39 BST (UK) »
I think this is the Mollie that you found the death for:-

Birth

HALL, MOLLIE  ADA GRACE    JONES 
GRO Reference: 1932  D Quarter in BRIGHTON  Volume 02B  Page 251