Author Topic: Rediscovering a URL path to a previously seen document.  (Read 652 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rediscovering a URL path to a previously seen document.
« on: Sunday 11 April 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
Way back in 2015 I downloaded from somewhere (almost certainly) Ancestry <dot> com a copy of the School Register (dates of registration and dates of moving on) for the first school my grandfather* attended in Cullompton, Devon, back in 1890.  *Edward Charles Gray, b: 1 August 1886

The download was accompanied by the reference:
    GBOR-SCHOOL-DEV-7779C_EFA1_1-0057
    the page is showing admissions from 14. 4. 90 to 27. 7. 90 (1890)
I would now like to track back to that document to search the adjacent pages for entries relating to any of his siblings and cousins that might have attended the same school.

I have searched Ancestry’s “All Collections” and “Card Catalog” without any credible results.

I have repeated the searches with both Gray & Grey, without any credible results.

I have sought help from “A’s” virtual agent(?) with a response which under different circumstances could have been considered modestly amusing:
    Words to the effect: “I’m still learning how to do this.”

Any help in finding a path to this page would be appreciated.

JohnG_Swansea, 11 April 2021.

Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Rediscovering a URL path to a previously seen document.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
Have you also checked find my past? They have also have some school registers.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
It is on FindMyPast

Gray
Edward

National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914
Cullompton, Devon, England

If you have a sub, this is link:

https://search.findmypast.com/record?id=GBOR%2FSCHOOL%2FDEV%2F7779C_EFA1_1%2F0057&parentid=GBOR%2FSCHOOL%2FAD%2F557668

which includes the reference you have quoted within same (GBOR-SCHOOL-DEV-7779C_EFA1_1-0057)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast also has a Montague Lionel Gray, same school in 1907, with the same father's name (Frederic), born 1901
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you all,

ScotMum:
Thankyou for the hint pointing towards:
    National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914, Cullompton, Devon, England
I've now tried that in "A" with no results.

Shaun:
>> FindMyPast also has a Montague Lionel Gray, same school in 1907, with the same father's name (Frederic), born 1901
Ahh, that's reassuring, being Edwards younger (step/ half) brother via dads second wife. 

Well that's motivated me to sort out a visit to the local library to see if the recent re-openning of services extends to their public access computers.

Afterthought 1: If one were to pay subscriptions to all the available subscription sites one would need a bottomless bank account!

Afterthought 2: to see the family 'in the round' see: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/9WYJ-Q2T

Thankyou, JohnG_Swansea.

Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.