Author Topic: conflict between DNA painter and Gedmatch  (Read 835 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
conflict between DNA painter and Gedmatch
« on: Sunday 11 April 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
I have an apparent conflict between DNA painter and Gedmatch. I have a match, 13.7 cMorgans, largest segment 7.3 cMorgans. We think we are both descended from the same great grandfather but via his two different wives. DNA painter suggests various forms of second cousins twice removed while Gedmatch suggests that we are 7 generations apart. MyHeritage also suggests we are third cousins. The Gedmatch figure seems to disagree with the other facts. Our possible mutual great grandfather and his two sons were both in the right place at the right time to have possibly impregnated one of my two maternal great-grandmother, out of wedlock.

Zaph

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: conflict between DNA painter and Gedmatch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
There is no conflict as this is what DNA Painter puts as possibilities for 13.7 cMs

61%    6C 6C1R 5C 6C2R 4C1R 5C1R 7C Half 3C2R 4C2R 5C2R 7C1R 3C3R 4C3R 5C3R 8C or more distant

15%  Half 3C 3C1R Half 2C2R 2C3R15%4C Half 3C1R 3C2R

7%   3C Half 2C1R 2C2R Half 1C3R

0.97%  1C3R † 2C1R † Half 1C2R † Half 2C
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I saw the more extreme values on DNA painter, and the paper trail suggests a great grandfather as a most recent common ancestor but I'm puzzled by why gedmatch suggests 7 Generations back. I did see the DNA painter suggests that it could be that the far back. Second cousin once removed seems a much more likely option.

This latest match would explain why I have certain non European ethnicity which has always been unusual and unexpected!  Oddly I have exactly the same match with the original person's mother as well as her son.

Is this still possible in view of the 7 generation figure in gedmatch?

Zaph

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 15:31 BST (UK) »
It's only a small amount of centiMorgans so a distant relationship is a strong possibility. GEDmatch only gives one possibility so the choice is the one most possible to the total of centiMorgans.

Because of variable amounts of DNA passed down with each conception there are many possibilities and DNA Painter gives you the whole range of possibilities.

7th generation would mean you meet at your 4th gt grandparents so you would be 5th cousins, you can see from your DNA Painter results that a 5th cousin is in their highest percentage of possibilities.

It's all just possibilities and you have to work on that as you have to try to prove the real relationship.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Medpat, thanks again. 3C seems most likely, possibly 2C1R.  Unfortunately my match can't be very precise about when exactly his/our ancestor arrived in England. The fact that we can get to within 3 years, and in the same town, almost sways me but almost isn't acceptable.

Zaph

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
My mother shares 1757 cm with her brother's grandchild and only 1598 cm with my son.
I likewise share 1065 with them which makes me her 1st cousin once removed, DNA painter maintains she is my 1st cousin.
I suppose this means that my mother and her brother inherited unusually similar segments of DNA from their parents.
DNA painter is a very useful tool but not infallible.
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs
Priest - Worcs                            Haden - Worcs
Hewitt - Worcs                           Bissell - Worcs
Scarfe - Lincs                            Tooley - Lincs
Turnell/Turnill Notts, Nhants, Camb