Author Topic: Edward Samuel Ben DeRusett born Simla 1865  (Read 641 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Edward Samuel Ben DeRusett born Simla 1865
« on: Sunday 11 April 21 14:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any trace of the above. I have his baptism in Simla India in 1865. I have details of all the rest of his family, and I know they stayed in India. His sister Jane Sophia was my great grandmother. 
I don't know when he died but I suspect it was after his father's death in 1875. A book excerpt indicates that his older brother Charles William Francis gave up his inheritance to his sisters and brother. I have looked in Fibis, FindMyPast, Ancestry and Family Search to no avail. I doesn't help that De Rusett is spelt in many different ways!!
Can anyone suggest any other avenues I might explore?
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Samuel Ben DeRusett born Simla 1865
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage in Sydney NSW in 1896: Edward Derussett and Frances Ammoral.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you I'll investigate this further. I should have checked Australia!!
Cheers
Ruth
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Sadly I don't think this is my Edward. It looks like he is descended from another deRusett branch and is a cousin, according to a number of other trees. He seems to have been born @1860 in Australia, (christened Edwin but known as Edward). Looks like I'll just have accept it as a brick wall !!
If anyone out there knows different I'm listening!  :)

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
There a few Family Trees on MyHeritage showing him as born 31 August 1865 in Chr Simla, Bengal, India and baptised on 8 October 1865 in Simla, Bengal, India but no info about death.  I did notice that some of the entries show the family name as D'russett. I think they got their info from FamilySearch.

I'll have another look later - it's a puzzle, but you've set a challenge!

Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 19:03 BST (UK) »
Yes I have his birth details, but nothing else. The spelling varies a lot!  It was a made up name by his Grandfather and his brother (George Harris de Rusett) - The real name was Quigley!
 Thanks
Ruth

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
I'm trying different avenues to try and track him down and wondered if he was a missionary as I have seen several references to the name DeRusset in connection with missionary work.

In connection with Charles William de Russet I found this article and wondered if he was a family member? It makes an interesting read!

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/archive/himachaltribune/charles-william-de-russet-shimla-s-french-fakir-764165
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
Yes this was the brother who gave up his father's inheritance to his brother (Edward) and his sisters including my great grandmother! They were an Anglo Indian family dating back to William Henry de Rusett, brother to the infamous George Harris de Rusett, barber of Lucknow. I have lots of info on all the rest but Edward eludes me! Edward's father Charles William was a photographer, contractor, architect etc. in Simla.