Author Topic: McDonalds from Langal on Loch Shiel, Moidart, Inv.  (Read 385 times)

Offline Tiger48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonalds from Langal on Loch Shiel, Moidart, Inv.
« on: Sunday 11 April 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
To MonicaL from Tiger48 in Australia,

>> I was really chuffed though to find the stone for my 3xg aunt Sarah MacDonald and her husband John from Langall <<

Hello Monica, this is the first time I have corresponded on RootsChat although my sister and I have followed some of your RootsChat posts on McDonalds from Moidart for some time.
When I read your above posts [ On St Finian's Isle from 2010 ?]  I realised you are researching the SAME McDonald family members as we are from Australia.

Our McDonalds also came from Langal and Jean Cameron gave Liz much valuable information on our line in 2018-19. Our Angus and Marjory McDonald arrived in Australia in Sept 1852 on the Marco Polo. Angus is son of Allan McDonald (1771-1855) and Flora McDonald (1781-1856). We believe we have a complete understanding of all of Angus and Marjory's family and all their descendants in Australia. here they lived at Spring Hill near Kyneton in Victoria. Their 5 daughters married into the D'Arcy, McPherson (x2), Burton and Brady families and Our GG Grandfather Roderick married Mary Ann McInnes at Glenlyon, Victoria in 1876.

Angus and Marjory boarded the Marco Polo with 8 children, but only 6 of their children survived the sea journey. 3 further children died in Scotland long before their departure for Australia.

Their Children:
All 11 children were given the surname McDonald.
Ann (1829-1885), Flora (1831-1910), Mary Ann (1833-1884), Sarah (1836-1918), Catherine (Kate) (1838-1920), Roderick (1840-1915)-[Our GG Grandfather], Ranald (1842-1852)-[Died at Sea], Jannet (Jessie) (1848-1852)-[Died at Sea]. Three more children died in Scotland: Anne (1830-1830), Alexander (1845-????) and James (1850-????).

Furthermore, We have discovered via 1841 & 1851 Census records and Scotland's People searches that Alexander McDonald (McVarish) (1798-1874), from Langal, was the older brother of Angus. And that Alex'r married Peggy McMaster with their children being: Marcella (Chirsty) McDonald (1839-????), Allan McDonald (McVarish) (1840-1876), Angus McDonald (McVarish) (1843-????), John McDonald (McVarish) (1845-????), Alexander McDonald (McVarish) (1848-????) and Flora McDonald (1852-????). It is an enigma why the boys were Christened McVarish while the girls remained McDonald ?     

We speculate that because all of these family members living close together at Langal there must have been more direct relatives such as possible grandparents, uncles, aunties, brothers, sisters, cousins etc, among the other McDonald, McVarish, McIsaac, McEachen family members living at or around Langal, Dalilea, Dalnabreck, Mingarry, etc. 

We do not have much understanding of Angus and Marjory's parents or their ancestors or siblings  who remained in Scotland or possibly migrated to other parts of the World such as Canada, USA etc. - We believe Marjory's original surname was McDonald and that she came from Eilean Shona.

We wonder if you (or others on RootsChat) have any further knowledge about Allan and Flora McDonald from Langal and their ancestors, siblings, descendants, etc that you could share with us?

Thanking you in advance.

Best regards, "Tiger48" - New to RootsChat.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McDonalds from Langal on Loch Shiel, Moidart, Inv.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
Just adding link to other post on the family here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=473750.0

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
I see this death on Isle of Skye 1855 for an Allan McDonald who would be born 1770...is this possibly your kin?

ALLAN NICOLSON MACDONALD
died: 1855
110/ 59
Duirinish

If it was the 1855 doc would provide good parental clues. If not the right Allan then apologies.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Unfortunately, although there is a reference to Allan McD's death in 1855 in RC records, it does not show in the statutory registers. The 1855 death would be in the first year of official Scottish registration. Sadly nothing is showing, nor for his wife Flora the following year. Would have been brilliant for Tiger48 to have been able to find an 1855 cert given all the extra info that was included for that year only  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiger48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Great to receive your response , Thank you.

However your lead (although close), was not for our line of McDonalds.
 - Ours are from Langal, Dalilea and Eilean Shona as shown in the 1841 & 51 Census'

Hoping to attract the attention of some other descendants of Allan and Flora who may have more information about them.

Your input is appreciated.

Regards, Tiger48