Author Topic: Elizabeth LEWIS/THOMAS nee Wake b.1841  (Read 3102 times)

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Elizabeth LEWIS/THOMAS nee Wake b.1841
« on: Sunday 11 April 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
This is a continuation of a thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847391.0 on the Montgomeryshire board, where it turns out my assumptions were wrong.

I'm hoping someone can help with this as I haven't been able to discover further details.

In the 1911 census, Elizabeth Lewis, widow, 50 [Edit:70], born Erith, Kent, is listed with 2 children living of 4 born alive, at 30 Coverdale Rd, Shepherds Bush, Middx, London.

In 1901 she was at 2 Lime Grove, Shepherds Bush, and 1891 at 1 Lime Grove.  Both listed as a widow.

From the 1881 census I found her and John P Lewis (draughtsman, age 42, born London) living at 3 Caxton Rd, Hammersmith, Middx with three children.  (It was Kate who died before 1911)

Her first marriage was on 27 Oct 1858 at St Martins in the Field, Middx, and the certificate states the groom was coffee shop keeper Richard Thomas of George Square, St Margaret, Westminster, Middx (father William Thomas, farmer) and that Elizabeth Mary Wake was of King St, St Margaret, Westminster, Middx (father Charles Wake, plumber) with witnesses Charles Henry Wake and Caroline Jane Wake (these were her parents).   There are quite a few trade directory entries for Charles Wake in King St, plumber, and sometimes glazier.

I can't find Elizabeth Thomas in the 1861 census, nor in the 1871 census.  Neither can I be sure which of the various Richard Thomas deaths are the right one.

I haven't found her second marriage either, which would probably be 1872 at the latest since I have found a birth for 1872 of Cheltenham Wake Lewis (he died 1878 and a later child born 1880 to this couple was given the same name).  I did find a marriage of Thomas to John Purslow Lewis, but the wrong Thomas, so the wrong John P Lewis too. (Thanks to those on the Montgomeryshire board for sorting that out). 

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth LEWIS/THOMAS nee Wake b.1841
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
As on the Montgomeryshire Board you have Elizabeth, age 50 on the 1911 Census. Do you need to re-check age?

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
Quite right - 70 is the correct age.  Oops.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 17:38 BST (UK) »
the birth registrations for the Lewis children have no mother's maiden name suggesting that the parents were not married.

Cheltenham Wake Lewis dec qtr 1872 Islington vol 1b pg 378 mmn -
Cheltenham Wake Lewis march qtr 1881 Fulham vol 1a pg 213 mmn -
Beatrice Betty Wake Lewis dec qtr 1877 Fulham vol 1a pg 229 mmn -
Katherine Mary Wake Lewis march qtr 1875 Kensington vol 1a pg 236 mmn -
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
I noticed that but didn't know the significance.

So perhaps Richard Thomas didn't die?Or John P Lewis was not free to marry?

In the later census returns where she stated widow, that may have been fiction if she had then separated from Mr Lewis.

I couldn't find any Thomas births with mmn of Wake.

Perhaps I need to look for Elizabeth Thomas without Richard Thomas in earlier census returns?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
it may be an idea to get the pdf of one of the registrations to see what the detail is.

Yes, could be John P and/or Elizabeth were not free to marry.

Have you found Richard on any census to get a clue to his age? I see just noted as full age on marriage.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
No I haven't got any certs or pdfs as these are quite distant ancestors by marriage (via the name Wake Lewis, which intrigued me), and am just nosey!  Also wanting to find the connection between Elizabeth Mary Wake and John (Cheltenham) Wake the artist - probably a cousin. 

Her father was Charles Henry Wake b1821 and his was plain John Wake b1810 (who married Sarah Cheltenham, hence the names being handed down).  I have yet to work backwards to see if these were brothers.  Elizabeth is at 3 Caxton Rd, Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith in the 1881 census, and John Chelt. Wake's probate showed two addresses for him, one being 5 Caxton Rd, where he died in 1882.  5 Caxton Rd is not on the adjoining census pages so I need to search for this address.

Elizabeth was his executor, and also in the schools admission register for Cheltenham Wake Lewis in Apr 1887 when he was 5, the name given under parent/guardian is Cheltenham but this could have been an error since he'd been dead 5 years, unless they just needed a male name in that column?  They might just have copied the child's name.  In fact originally I thought that John Chelt. Wake was his father because of Wake being one of his names, before I discovered Elizabeth's maiden name was Wake.

As for Richard Thomas, I have yet to find him anywhere except the marriage, and he might have been full age or not, as it states Elizabeth was of full age, but in fact about 17.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 April 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
In 1905, Cheltenham Wake Lewis married Martha Emily Louisa Luks, and John Cheltenham Wake is shown as his father, artist, RA. 

Very confusing!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 April 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
In 1905, Cheltenham Wake Lewis married Martha Emily Louisa Luks, and John Cheltenham Wake is shown as his father, artist, RA. 

Very confusing!

Hi...

Cheltenhams marriage

29th July 1905 was at St Andrew West Kensington.

Address is the same as 1911 census.

Tazzie
 His father is listed as Cheltenham Wake Lewis deceased artist RA......not John
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk