Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 11th April  (Read 891 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 11th April
« on: Sunday 11 April 21 23:40 BST (UK) »
Woke very late, when I got up I looked out of the landing window and thought I was seeing things, the field was completely white. Not only the field in fact everything was covered in snow, not just a sprinkling but at least two or three inches. The sun was shining and an hour later most of it had gone.

It was after 2pm by the time I went for a walk, it was really quiet but that didn't last long before a group of young teenagers appeared on their bikes. Walked through the woods, a robin came to join me, hopping around. As I was walking on the field alongside the woods I looked at the area where all the bottles and cans had been left before and it was absolutely covered in rubbish again including plastic carrier bags. It makes my blood boil.

This morning I didn't think I'd be able to get out in the garden but the sun was warming the patio and it was quite pleasant. Checked my seedlings, they were okay. Planted some more seeds, Cosmos this time, I hope that by the time they sprout the other plants will be big enough to plant out or my patio will be taken over with them.

At about 6pm I went outside to the garage, it was absolutely freezing.
Watched Eye of the Storm, such magnificent paintings and his skies are absolutely sublime. I was in awe of the way he was painting on such huge canvases or paper en plein air. Amazing.

Looked outside at about 10pm, there was a covering of snow on the cars, forecast sunny again on Monday.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 11th April
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 April 21 01:06 BST (UK) »
Imagine, Roobarb, you are having snow and we are having some very nice days, although a bit cooler today, spring jacket weather.
Mostly uneventful weekend, did some housework, floors needed to be done, changed bed, etc. We watched ep 5 of The Capture last night.  Today I did some online work, jigsaw, and made some banana muffins.  This time the bananas were very ripe, better for flavour. Everything quiet until OH came home from his walk saying he had lost a set of keys in the park.  He got the car and went back, no luck, then we decided to play a game of cribbage which we had not played in over a month.  I won. 
We decided to go to the park again, a still no luck.  I had sat down to rest a bit and struck up a conversation with a man originally from the Ukraine with a dog very much like ours, but shaved very short.  He said the dog cannot stand warm weather at all.
The keys do have a War Amps tag on them so someone might pop them in the mail, guaranteed return.  I will also call the city in the morning just to let them know, if someone turned them in.
We watched the 2nd ep of The Canadian Landscape Artist, am really enjoying it.  We are also near the end of Tripping Niagara, the Falls are coming!  I cannot believe how much I have learned by watching it, and how beautiful the area is, seeing it from a drone’s view.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - My goodness all that snow but gone almost as quickly in the sunshine... I do love it when it’s just fallen, pristine and always quiet and the strange light it produces...
Oh dear, these youngsters are a nuisance aren’t they... you’d think they want to be indoors in this weather...
Your seedlings seem to be coming along well... I’ll bet your garden looks great when everything’s out and flowering..
I’m so pleased you enjoyed the art programme I thought it was quite wonderful, such talent takes your breath away...

My day

Despite feeling tired last night I had a disturbed night... everytime I turned onto the side I’d had the jab it woke me up, still felt ropey when I got up, my joints felt stiff as if they should belong to someone else... I still felt really tired and very lack lustre...
OH went off to golf and I sat in the conservatory enjoying the warmth of the sunshine through the glass... but I was under no misapprehension as to the chill of the wind..
I read the papers.... some interesting articles once you’d sifted through all the stuff in Prince Philip...I will keep the section all about him to add to the ones I have on Diana, the Queen Mother, various royal weddings and the men’s first trip to the moon... I signed the online condolence book too...
Messaged my daughter she’d had a mixed night but felt better after a shower... still no news that T’s results are negative...
Decided to go out in the garden while the sun was out, replanted a couple of plants in different places, deadhead the miniature daffs, cut all leaves off the hellebores... watered the seedlings, two of my sweet peas are up... the sun went in and it was very chilly, came indoors and had lunch..
Message from daughter all clear so they were off out to NT place they’d booked.. Cliveden...
Did some cooking... stewed some rhubarb given to me added cinnamon stick, star anise, stem ginger and sultanas just bring to boil cover and leave to cool..
I seem to have quite a lot of lemons for some reason so made several jars of lemon curd...
OH arrived home just in time as we had a terrific hail storm... couldn’t see up the garden!
Read for a while before getting dinner ready... roast beef and all trimmings...
OH busy watching the Golf so I watched Netflix on my iPad with head phones on..
After my run in with Waitrose yesterday regarding their decision not to deliver newspapers with shopping deliveries unless your delivery was after 3pm ...
why..
because they weren’t receiving them in early enough to satisfy early delivery slots...
what...
I phoned customer services yesterday to be told they’d had lots of complaints!
Hardly surprising.... the driver yesterday also said he’d received lots of complaints despite the fact our store hasn’t ever had a problem...
Company policy now apparently...
I’m not going to go on anymore or I’ll get too worked up and not be able to sleep!
My friend C also got told the same thing as she has a paper for her mum...

On that note I’ll say good night... let’s hope the weather gets a bit warmer next week!
Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 21 01:24 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add we have daffodils out now, front garden.
Caroline, you are a wonder, all you do, and not feeling well after your jab.  Hope you are fully recovered soon, imagine what you will accomplish!  😁

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 April 21 03:14 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, it makes me angry to hear about your idyllic countryside being spoiled by littering. If this is an area for repeat offending the authorities may need to instal security or lighting to deter the culprits. It must have been very odd seeing snow after your recent warm days. The weather seems to be quite peculiar for many of you.

Oh dear Caroline, now I have a craving for rhubarb and lemon curd.  :) Good news about the negative covid test. Let’s hope your daughter’s back is on the mend.

Diana, using very ripe bananas is definitely the key to successful bakes with bananas. It is so annoying to lose keys. This happened to me a few months back with a single key during a dog walk (already mentioned on a diary thread I think so sorry for going over old ground)  - I retraced my steps at least three times, but couldn’t find it. A few days later I saw it on the ground in a spot I had already looked several times. It might be worth your husband going back over the area in a day or so. I would also look on top of any fences or walls because if people find something they tend to put it up off the ground near where they find it.

I liked ‘The Capture’.

I can just picture all the spring flowers sprouting in your gardens. It must be a wonderful sight.

A quiet day for me. I visited my father and did some washing. Watched a two parter “The Moorside” starring Sheridan Smith - true story - amazing. Well worth watching.

Met the new puppy who lives in the house behind us. Looks like a clone of the other dog they have- also still a puppy about 8 months old. Extremely friendly, mouthy, both jumping out of their skin with excitement. I don’t know what breed they are - slightly ugly, short white fur, brown patches, pink rimmed eyes, possibly Staffordshire bull terriers or a cross. Older one is female, baby is a male so I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be more puppies quite soon.

Also met the mad labradoodle on our daily dog walk. He came bounding towards us with his lead dragging on the ground.it scared me because I wouldn’t trust him not to run onto the road. Owner eventually retrieved the lead. Dog is very excitable but cute as can be. A bit later I spied someone walking a beagle on the other side of the road so steadied myself in anticipation of my dog going barking crazy. She saw it but completely ignored it. Not bothered at all.

Weather was a bit more pleasant and not as hot, though it was sunny of course.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, you say it was not as hot, though sunny , OF COURSE....my son put 10 seconds of a joke from little grandson, and rain was bucketing down where they were!
Caroline I am sad, (and slightly terrified,) that you are feeling so ill from your second vaccination dose. Hope you have a better day, and night, ahead. 
How do you, (does anyone,) stay so slim when you are always cooking such yummy things?
Roobarb, glad you had the beauty of the snow without lasting inconvenience.
I hate it that being a disgusting litterlout is now considered Kool. There is no respect in the Uk, and matters are not getting any better. Now I sound like a grumpy old trout, which I suppose I am, but what is the difficulty in taking rubbish to a bin, or back where it was brought from in the first place?
Diana, I hope you do get those keys back. What a nightmare! (In the past I have advertised keys, and also a covid vaccination card on local forums, and had zero responses.)

Sunday: I tried to make contact with family in Oz, but no response of course.
We had brief snow and sleet showers here, right by the beach, but it didn't last.
Took a walk in the woods, same as last week, but bluebells still not in profusion. Much colder and less pleasant than last week, although more birds in evidence. Saw chiffchaff, coal tit, wrens, tree creeper plus all the usual blackbirds, robins, sparrow, buzzard. Lots of wild flowers, but very few butterflies.
Not much else to report, though "Line of Duty" was quite hectic I thought.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 April 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
I agree with you about Line of Duty MH. We had to go back to the previous episode for a recap, then pause the programme a couple of times to discuss what was going on. Still, I am enjoying it.

Have you made contact with your Oz rellies since Easter MH? I’m not sure how the weather is down south, but they do say you can get “four seasons in one day” in Melbourne, and that probably includes other parts of Victoria. Your woodland walks sound wonderful.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 April 21 10:34 BST (UK) »
We definitely live in a beautiful part of the world Ruskie, but one does have to look.
I was raised in London, which is where I learned a lot about flowers and birds, so I do think opportunities are everywhere providing one is observant and taking notice.
My younger son phoned me from Oz, while he was driving to work on Uk mother's day, which was lovely. I spoke to one of the children 2 or 3 weeks before that. I know Melbourne was in a lockdown at the time, because we did some of her homework together. I haven't spoken to the children since then, although photos pop up on fb occasionally. It was 16:30 Victoria time, when I tried both parent's phones yesterday.
Yes, I need to be fully focused for "Line of Duty", no blinking, or I miss something crucial. I will probably have to watch it again before the next episode, but it is marvellous to have something so gripping to anticipate.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 April 21 11:12 BST (UK) »
I hope the keys turn up Diana, so frustrating as well as inconvenient. Cribbage reminds me of my childhood, we all used to play, my dad made the counter board and we used matchsticks as counters. Two for his heels!  :D

Caroline, I'm absolutely amazed at how much you did despite feeling so rough. My sweet peas are coming through too, apparently when they're flowering you have to keep cutting the flowers to keep them going. Utterly ridiculous decision by Waitrose, it's little things like that that really get to you in times like these.

Ruskie, the place where the littering is isn't a place where they could take any measures. It's at the edge of the woods next to the field, there's a dip in the land where the teenagers make a bonfire and sit around drinking. No problem with that as such, as long as they behave themselves but they leave all the empties behind, it's disgusting. MH, if you're a grumpy old trout in this respect then so am I.
I think your dog is playing games with you Ruskie, keeping you guessing!  ;D Hope the labradoodle doesn't come come to any harm.

Hope you soon make contact with your family in Oz MH. I'm glad to hear it's not only me who has to keep rewinding Line of Duty! It demands full concentration, I found Game of Thrones the same.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales