Author Topic: Marriage of Henry N Hamilton and Anna ___, prob. Pittsburgh, 1907-1910  (Read 1306 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I am looking for the marriage of my great uncle, Henry Norman "Harry" Hamilton, and his wife Anna ___. Hopefully to learn her maiden name, parents, etc.

Most likely they were married in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, between 1907 and 1910. Definitely between 1906 and 1918, and if not in Pittsburgh, then likely in Cleveland, Ohio.

They are not Harry W Hamilton and Anna Holicky who married 26 November 1914 in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

They are not Harry Leroy Hamilton b 31 May 1885, who registered for the WWI draft in Pittsburgh with a wife named Anna.

---------
Details:

In the 1908 Pittsburgh Directory, Henry was living in his mother's home at 4932 Kincaid, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1910 she was still on Kincaid, but Henry, in the 1910 Directory, is nearby at 412 North Mathilda. I haven't found Henry in the 1910 census. He is not at 412 Mathilda, nor at 207 Shetland, where he was in the 1912 Directory.

Henry was single when he arrived in Baltimore on 17 September 1906, an American citizen, whose last residence and destination was Pittsburgh. And the first time I actually have Henry and Anna together on a record is September 12, 1918, at 809 Parkwood, Cleveland, Ohio, when Harry registered for the WWI Draft.

Anna ___ 's death record, with Harry as informant, said she was born 5 June 1886 in Germany. The 1920 Census said she was born in Bosnia/Austria, and that her parents were born there also. She died 8 Feb 1929 at 1374 E 141st, East Cleveland, and is buried in Acadia Memorial Park.

Henry "Harry" Hamilton was born 11 March 1882 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, son of Joseph Hamilton and Elizabeth Eckstine Kiel. He was raised in Pittsburgh, lived in Cleveland, and died in Medina, Ohio, 21 April 1951. He was cremated, but findagrave says he is buried with his wife.

Thank you,
Ed H.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Henry N Hamilton and Anna ___, prob. Pittsburgh, 1907-1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 April 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
Anna's death notice doesn't mention her maiden name, nor does it mention any siblings she might have had.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
Acacia Cemetery:  https://acaciacemetery.com/find-love-ones/paine-r-russell/

Has them both listed in their cemetery records.

Do you have Henry's tragic death notice?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Acacia Cemetery:  https://acaciacemetery.com/find-love-ones/paine-r-russell/

Has them both listed in their cemetery records.
They must have buried his ashes there then.

Do you have Henry's tragic death notice?
You mean the one that no one ever told me about growing up and may have helped me to understand why I felt the way I did so often?

Yes.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 April 21 21:56 BST (UK) »
Anna's death notice doesn't mention her maiden name, nor does it mention any siblings she might have had.

Could you post that or pm it to me please? It's not in the Cleveland Public Library News and Necrology file. Where did you find it, in a Pittsburgh paper?

I guess Harry honestly didn't know much about her family. I thought the lack of information on her death record was from grief at the time.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 21 22:07 BST (UK) »

Could you post that or pm it to me please? It's not in the Cleveland Public Library News and Necrology file. Where did you find it, in a Pittsburgh paper?

I guess Harry honestly didn't know much about her family. I thought the lack of information on her death record was from grief at the time.

Plain Dealer
Sunday, Feb 10, 1929
Cleveland, OH
Page: 32

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 April 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
American marriages are normally registered by the County. if most likely they were married in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania a record of the marriage should be in Allegheny County archives.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 April 21 23:19 BST (UK) »
Plain Dealer
Sunday, Feb 10, 1929
Cleveland, OH
Page: 32

Thank you.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 April 21 23:20 BST (UK) »
American marriages are normally registered by the County. if most likely they were married in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania a record of the marriage should be in Allegheny County archives.

Thanks. That looks like the next stop. It's only $4 for a search.