Author Topic: Marriage of Henry N Hamilton and Anna ___, prob. Pittsburgh, 1907-1910  (Read 1308 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Henry N Hamilton and Anna ___, prob. Pittsburgh, 1907-1910
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS7R-3DB4?i=1462&cat=2574306
 - Anna's Probate index
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9D2-NCZ3?i=26&cc=1837736&cat=2574308
 - Anna's probate records, including her will in which she leaves everything to her husband.
She owned a house and lot in East Cleveland, and an empty lot in Mentor, Lake Co, Ohio
Towards the end it mentioned she had no children, no siblings.

Might be worth tracing the land records - perhaps she inherited the property, hence why it was in her name and not joint between them.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
She owned a house and lot in East Cleveland, and an empty lot in Mentor, Lake Co, Ohio
Towards the end it mentioned she had no children, no siblings.

Might be worth tracing the land records - perhaps she inherited the property, hence why it was in her name and not joint between them.
Thank you very much. I will look at the land records. And this widens the search for the marriage also. If she had land in Cleveland and in Lake Co. then she was more likely raised there than in Pittsburgh.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
The house and lot in East Cleveland was sold to Anna in June 1923 by William and Ella Parke. They had a number of transactions on the Cuyahoga Co. records. He was born 1869 in Ireland. Ella was born 1866 in Canada and her maiden name seems to be Snyder, so neither are related to Anna or Henry.

Anna sold the property to Henry in March 1927, then he sold it back to her in Feb 1928. She wrote her will in June 1928 leaving it to Henry.

Anna had also owned their previous home on Everton Ave, buying it from C T Austin in 1920. He had a number of transactions on the records also and had bought that property the same day from someone else.

I have the approximate location of the empty lot in Mentor, Ohio, sublot 698 in the Salida subdivision. Sublot 690 is 5615 Anaconda Ave, Mentor-on-the-Lake, OH.
But the online Lake County records only go back to about 1960, so I couldn't trace Anna's ownership of that property.

----------
I've requested a search for the marriage record of Henry N Hamilton and Anna ___ in Allegheny Co, Pennsylvania.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
I've requested a search for the marriage record of Henry N Hamilton and Anna ___ in Allegheny Co, Pennsylvania.
They responded pretty fast:
"The Allegheny County Department of Court Records has not found any marriage records related to your request."

I don't think I will try any other counties. They could have gone anywhere to marry.

---------------------
I'm now trying to rule in or out the following family as being Anna __'s birth family:

Edited: this is not her. See next post.

1900 Census, McKeesport, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
June 13, 1900
renting at 37 Penn Street

Andy Morris, October 1859, 41, born in Austria, laborer, mill, arrived 1891
Barbara Morris, Dec 1863, 37, born in Austria, married 15 years, 4 or 6 children, 4 alive, arrived 1892
Annie Morris, June 1886, 14, born in Austria, arrived 1892, in school
Mary Morris, October 1892, 8, born in Pennsylvania
Michael Morris, October 1894, 6, born in Pennsylvania
Susie Morris, June 1895, 5, born in Pennsylvania

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M3MW-FK5
--
The month, year, and place for this Annie's birth match what I know about Henry Hamilton's wife.
Also, a cousin sent me a picture of Henry and Anna with a young man. The information that came with the picture said his name was Morris. I took it to be his given name, but who knows ...

-----
The father, Andrew, is not the Andrew Morros (b abt 1864, Austria) who died 1 Feb 1908 in Dixmont (PA) Insane Asylum. That man was from Manifold, Washington County, according to his death record.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 April 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
The Annie in that family is not the Anna __ I am looking for who married Henry Norman Hamilton.

Their family name was Mross. The Annie in that family married Andrew Macko about 1917 (before he registered for the draft) and lived her whole life in McKeesport, Pa, dying 10 July 1945.