Author Topic: Trouble finding a Marriage In Yorkshire  (Read 1358 times)

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble finding a Marriage In Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks all : this is definitely a strange one but think I've solved it with your help.
Firstly, how did you find the info on Arthur Perry's birth certificate, Harriett's name at the Baptism & Joseph & Harriet''s Marriage record, I'm on Ancestry & looked on the Family Search website but can't find that sort of info out ? perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

So I think it looks like this now with your help, so it's epic  :)

On the 1851 Census George Perry ( 1811 the father ) & Jane ( Fisher mother ) there is a George  Perry listed aged 4 but on the 1861 Census & all those afterwards it says Joseph aged 14 so I'm assuming that this is the same person & something went wrong when writing the census.

From your info Harriett married John Batty & had Thomas, this would explain the ages differences, then became a widow.

It looks like she then married Joseph Perry & had George Perry then on the 1891 census Harriet is Head of the household with Benjamin down as a lodger. Then on the 1901 Census is shows them as husband & wife. The probate I think proves they weren't married but what a set up.

George in 1881 was living as an adopted son to Charles & Eliza Wetherall : Eliza was a Perry and I think would make her his Aunt

Thanks so much for your help

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks all : this is definitely a strange one but think I've solved it with your help.
Firstly, how did you find the info on Arthur Perry's birth certificate, Harriett's name at the Baptism & Joseph & Harriet''s Marriage record, I'm on Ancestry & looked on the Family Search website but can't find that sort of info out ? perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

I found Arthur Perry's birth certificate on the GRO:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

You have to create an account to view the free indexes.

Arthur & Harry's baptism record is on FindMyPast.

Joseph Perry & Harriet Batty's marriage record is on Ancestry but they have mistranscribed it as 'Harnet Batty' instead of Harriet Batty. Marriage date = 1 Dec 1879.

Hope this helps!

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Brill , thanks

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
To complete the story - some more of Harriet's children (registered with mmn Passmore)

Florence Batty
B Q1 1876 Barnsley
D Q2 1876 Barnsley

Ernest Batty
B Q4 1877 Barnsley
D Q1 1878 Barnsley

Lewis Perry
B Q4 1881 Barnsley
D Q1 1884 Barnsley

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
Ooo more children : I've logged onto the GRO and seen the record but where can I see his actual birth certificate, is that on FindMyPast, the one you pay for ?

Could I be cheeky ( promise it's my last query ) : On my first post I said that on the 1891 census there were 3 nephew's living with George & Jane Perry : George Chapman, William & Ernest - I found their father James in the Wortley Union Workhouse but can't find anything about their mother Jane Ann Chapman born 1852 ?? I can't find her on any other census or her death, I assume she had died if they were living with their Aunt & Uncle ?? I

Thanks

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 15:52 BST (UK) »
Ooo more children : I've logged onto the GRO and seen the record but where can I see his actual birth certificate, is that on FindMyPast, the one you pay for ?

Could I be cheeky ( promise it's my last query ) : On my first post I said that on the 1891 census there were 3 nephew's living with George & Jane Perry : George Chapman, William & Ernest - I found their father James in the Wortley Union Workhouse but can't find anything about their mother Jane Ann Chapman born 1852 ?? I can't find her on any other census or her death, I assume she had died if they were living with their Aunt & Uncle ?? I

Thanks

I'm afraid the only way to see the contents of the birth certificate is to order it from the GRO - a .pdf is £7 and takes about a week to arrive for download. This is the case for all birth and death certificates, unfortunately. Only baptisms and burials can be viewed on subscription sites.

I had a look for Jane but I couldn't find her. This is one mysterious family!

From what I can see on the GRO index, Jane & James had their last child, Ernest, in 1885. In 1891 he is in the Wortley Workhouse. However, he lists himself as married so Jane was still alive in 1891. In the 1861 census, Jane is living in Tankersley (Wortley) with her parents, George & Frances Chapman. In 1871, she is working as a domestic servant and in 1881 she is living with her husband James and her children George & Edith in Sharlston, Wakefield. She has another daughter, Clara, who was residing with her grandparents at the time of the 1881 census.

After this the trail goes cold. There are a few possibilities: she died in Wortley and I can't find her, she moved away and died there or she got remarried after James' death. It might seem strange to leave your children and start again but I have seen it happen.

Queenie  :)

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
That's great, thanks - I surely do have an interesting family.

Now got to knuckle down and enter all the info on the family tree.

Thanks again for all your help.
Angela