Author Topic: Diary > Monday 12th April  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 12th April
« on: Monday 12 April 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Not a very productive day as it happened.
Another cold start, a sprinkling of white on the lawns but no heavy snow and it was sunny again. Thought about going to the beach but did the usual area instead, just me and the dog walkers around today. All of the trees now have bright green foliage,  unfortunately all of the rubbish was still there although it did look as if it had been kicked into the one place where the ashes of the bonfire were.

In the afternoon I decided to go to the nurseries for some compost and a look round. Got ready with mask and money, got in the car, couldn't believe it when the darned thing wouldn't start again. Phoned my friend, he asked if the battery was flat, I said it was making a tapping noise this time when I turned the key so I wasn't sure. He said he would come round later. In the meantime I did a bit of gardening then sat reading on the patio in the sun which was pleasantly warm.

When my friend arrived he said it was the battery, the sound was the starter motor trying to engage. He jumped it off and left it running for some time. He said if it continues to be a problem I'll need a new battery but I should run it more often, even if that's on the drive. I keep meaning to do that but then forgetting. Wasn't pleased about my car but it was nice to have some company.

Anyone been to the pub today?  ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 12th April
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 00:31 BST (UK) »
Oh that’s a blooming nuisance when you wanted to get out.... well at least now we’re allowed to be out and about a bit more so hopefully you won’t have the problem again.... as you say nice to have company to chat ....

Not sure what can be done with the problem of youngsters congregating and leaving a mess behind....

Definitely NOT been to the pub... I noticed when we drove to the vaccination place on Saturday our nearest pub isn’t opening until 16th anyway! They do have a huge outside area and in the summer it’s a great place to go as you see wonderful sunsets from it.... might be a while yet b4 we go...

I woke this morning to sunshine and also realised that I was feeling fine... sore arm gone, limbs feeling like they were mine again and more energy....
After breakfast had a shower and hair wash...
I wandered down the village to drop of the lottery winnings..
I went into the church and signed the book of condolence that the village are sending to The Queen... I was only the second person to write in it so far...
On the way home I stopped to have a chat with a friend whom I’d not seen for some months... she didn’t recognise me until I spoke! My long hair she said had confused her! We had a good natter, her daughters expecting a baby in September so she was delighted... she then told me that the local nature area that was created from the gravel extraction, now lakes and full of wildlife, they also have a wonderful rustic built fort with tunnels and slides play area for children had been burnt to the ground... such dreadful news as it’s such a popular place and now when summers coming and folk can enjoy it... like to get your hands on those .#§¥#§§ people who’d do such a thing!
OH was out mowing the lawn when I returned so I got out the garden chairs from the shed to put round the table..swept the patio ...
Had lunch ...
As the girls are coming to me for coffee and came tomorrow I thought I ought to make one! I’d found a nice recipe for a lemon curd and orange cake... usual ingredients with the addition of lemon curd, ground almonds and orange zest... put half in loaf tin then add lemon curd then rest of mixture scatter with almond flakes... well that was one jar of the lemon curd I made yesterday gone! Then I made some white chocolate, pecan nut blondies ( bit like brownies but no chocolate).... I had two egg whites left from yesterday so I made some little chocolate meringues which I’ll sandwich together with choc ganache...
We started a game of scrabble... I used all my tiles on my first go!
We had to stop our game as we had a zoom with our friends... lovely to catch up with them ... hope we’ll be able to actually see them soon!
Finished our game which I won... three games in a row now! ....
had dinner just used up beef from yesterday in gravy with mash and green vegs... thought I’d conjured up enough cooking skills today so easy meal!
Watched tv... Line of Duty... my it’s getting ever more convoluted... watched a nice programme about cruising up the river Moselle... looks beautiful, something I’ve always fancied a river cruise...

That’s it for today... weather still felt chilly when the sun went in so keeping 🤞it’s not to cold tomorrow!
Take care all
Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 01:05 BST (UK) »
Oops Roobarb, a couple of days ago I thought to ask about your car, but forgot.

A garage can check to see how much life you have in your battery, or you can buy the instrument to check for yourself.

Something else you might want to consider is buying a battery charger. It plugs in to a powerpoint and clamps onto the terminals and can give the oomph you need to start it. It generally needs a few hours to charge up. Depending on current restrictions, it would be a good idea to take the car out for a drive fairly regularly.

Presumably the mess in the woods will stay there until a kind local removes it. I wonder if some signs might make them think before leaving their mess behind (or perhaps it will encourage them to keep doing it). I’d probably put up a sign saying something like:
 “feel free to leave your broken bottles and litter here. Jim is 85 years old and suffers from (x illnesses) and he will hobble over and pick up after you.  Enjoy yourselves.”

Something else you could do is leave a couple of rubbish bags in an obvious spot with a sign saying “please take one”, or “please take your rubbish with you””.  ;D

Probably won’t work, but may be worth a try?

Did you end up going to the nursery after all that?  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
I’m so pleased you are feeling better Caroline. You seem to be making up for lost time when you were unwell with all that cooking. It all sounds amazing!

Such a shame about the fire. Do you think it was idiots messing around / kids smoking or intentionally vandalised? Makes you wonder about the mentality of some people.  >:(

A quiet Monday for me. Daughter’s Tens machine arrived, and after trying it she declared she was virtually pain free. It will be interesting to see how long lasting that is.

Took dog for her walk. Some dramas on the road nearby. I can’t workout what happened. Fire, ambulance, tow truck and police in attendance, but no car accident - a middle aged woman in her car in an odd position in in the middle of the road. A possible ‘defective car’ sticker in the window. A mystery. We walked past the labradoodle’s house and he was in the front garden, so I gave him some pats and attention. There is a “for sale” sign at the front of his house. Shame. They haven’t been there very long. I will miss him when they leave.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 01:15 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, very sorry to hear about your car.  Having had battery problems with our older one, I know what a worry it can be. 
Caroline, glad your feeling better.  Sounds like your cake will be yummy, would love to taste it!  I keep thinking of making a Bundt cake, and freeze some up.
Did not sleep well last night - but some good news!  Yesterday I mentioned OH had lost a set of keys (the older car and house).  This morning I called the Parks department, left a message,  but never got a call back.  At noon we were discussing the situation, both a bit edgy, when the phone rang, but no one there when OH picked up, but call display showed the War Amps.  Am not sure if they are strictly a Canadian organization, but for decades they have supported amputees, beginning with war amputees and now civilians as well.  If you give them a donation, they send a key ring attachment, with a code that links to you.  Anyone who finds the keys can pop them in the mail or phone the War amps number.  Right away we realized this is what had happened and we were ecstatic.  I immediately called them and they gave me the number of the person who had found them.  She actually lives within walking distance (thankfully not on the other side of the city) but we took the car, went through the drive-through at the local coffee shop and bought her a gift card.  Back we went and she had put the keys in her mailbox.  We’re we glad to see them!  Back home and all is well.  OH says he will donate to War Amps and get a tag for all our keys.
Meanwhile my daughter had sent us a box of five jigsaws to keep us busy.  They are all of works by Charles Wysocki, an American folk artist.  Not too hard, but hard enough, and make lovely pictures.
Weather not nice today, slightly damp and dark all day.  Grass very green though, and growing.  Daffodils at back, now.
Just finishing up a book by Peter James, about half way through his police procedural series set in Brighton.  I like that I have actually been there and keep hoping he will mention my mother‘s hometown in Sussex, or one of her ancestral villages, but not so far. About 25 pages to go.
Ontario has decided to shut down all public schools.  The kids are on a delayed spring break this week, but they won’t be back next week.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 01:17 BST (UK) »
Deleted by me!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry I posted twice.  Very tired and I don’t know how to remove it!  :(

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 01:36 BST (UK) »
Diana, I don’t think there is any way to delete an entire post. Maybe just delete all the text, and just type “deleted” in the text box?

So glad the keys turned up. I thought they would.  ;) There are all sorts of key finder things these days. Some of them send signals to your phone to tell you were they are, though I think there are some limitations with the technology.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 07:44 BST (UK) »
The parasols were up by 07:00 at the beer garden on the seafront, but none of the tables I can see from the balcony were in use until lunchtime, (although there are many more seats at the back of the building that I can't see).  Trade was still bustling until it was dark.
Slipped into town briefly, to buy cards for the 3 friends who lost loved ones all on the same day a year ago.  All shops open, and lots of people around so we didn't linger. Of course the reason I usually go early is to avoid crowds, so possibly it was normal.
Taking a walk when there didn't seem to be many people around, a family of holiday makers strung out right across a lane wide enough to take cars were oblivious that we might need some space.
How do I know they were holiday makers?
Dad in a Wolverhampton football shirt breathed his liquid lunch over me as he jovially enquired "Orroight" which I translated as "isn't it great to be on holiday, and have lunch at a pub?"
I spent the rest of the day feeling murderous!

Great the keys turned up Diana. Also good news Tens machine has helped your daughter Ruskie, and Caroline feeling better too. Sounds fairly positive all round except for the flat battery.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.