Author Topic: van Rhijn/van Rhyn  (Read 1011 times)

Offline LouiseRB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
van Rhijn/van Rhyn
« on: Tuesday 13 April 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, my name is Louise and I’m looking for information going back on DIRK VAN RHIJN/VAN RHYN.

I only have the following information:
- Born: 18/08/1895
- Christened: 23/08/1896
- Married: 29/01/1923 to Margaretha Johanna Bester (Leipoldtville NG Kerk, spelt ‘van Rhijn’ on marriage certificate)
- Children: Johanna Margaretha, Elizabeth Maria Wilhelmina, and Dirkie Jacoba Elizabeth (spelt surname ‘van Rhyn’)
- Died: 28/08/1932 (Sandkraal Clanwilliam, spelt ‘van Rhyn’ on the death certificate)

Potential father: Dirk van Rhijn born c. 1871, christened 15/09/1872. No other information known.

Note: he is NOT the son of Petrus Benjamin van Rhyn and Susara Hendrika Maria Roussow as their son Dirk (born on the same day) passed away in 1955

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: van Rhijn/van Rhyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
So, you've got his christening date, but not the names of his parents .... strange!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
Just a point -

In Dutch (and presumably Afrikaans) the "ij" letter is somewhat equivalent to a "y".
"ij" comes separately in a Dutch dictionary, after "y" ;D

The painter Rembrandt is known in the Netherlands as Rembrandt Van Rijn ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 09:03 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the birth and baptism dates from for your Dirk?  The only baptism with those details is that of the son of Petrus Benjamin.  Looking at his marriage to Margaretha his year of birth was about 1897.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline LouiseRB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine that has a lot of experience with genealogy gave the details to me - although I appreciate that mistakes can happen. I’m just looking at the death certificate, he was 36 when he died in 1932 so perhaps his birth date was 1896. I’m still not able to find any information on those dates though...

Offline LouiseRB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the birth and baptism dates from for your Dirk?  The only baptism with those details is that of the son of Petrus Benjamin.  Looking at his marriage to Margaretha his year of birth was about 1897.

Sorry, just realised I may have been supposed to reply while quoting you.
My reply to your question went directly onto the thread!

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
With respect, I think that your friend was incorrect.  Easy to do as there are a number of people with the same name.

Are you sure of the date of death?  Dirk, on his marriage certificate is a farmer, whereas the Dirk on the death is a herdsman.

The one who died in 1932 did not leave an estate that I can find - being a farmer that would be a bit odd I think.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline LouiseRB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
With respect, I think that your friend was incorrect.  Easy to do as there are a number of people with the same name.

Are you sure of the date of death?  Dirk, on his marriage certificate is a farmer, whereas the Dirk on the death is a herdsman.

The one who died in 1932 did not leave an estate that I can find - being a farmer that would be a bit odd I think.

I feel as though I’m not sure of anything now, it’s a bit disappointing to be honest...

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the marriage of Dirkie - her mother was born on 14/2/1901 - whereas her marriage gives a year of about 1897.

Which of the daughters is your relative?  Perhaps it is worth starting from the beginning again!
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods