Author Topic: Looking for more info re: Maud Evans nee SMITH, b. June 1891 in Tipton/Dudley  (Read 3639 times)

Offline shauniibd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoping somebody could give me any ideas to push through a recent sticking point in my family history searches!

My great great grandparents were William Evans, b. Jan 1888 in West Bromwich and Maud Smith, b. Jun 1891, location unknown.
I found them on the 1939 register (which is where I retrieved most of my factual info). I also found their marriage index - they married Oct-Dec 1912 in Dudley.

I've exhausted all of my searching skills, and haven't got very far with finding Maud in any records prior to 1912. I don't have the budget to purchase any records at the moment, so can't purchase the marriage record to view father's info on there.

I found a Maud SMITH in 1911 census that I suspect could be my Maud - at 11-12 Swan Row, Coseley (The Swan Pub) with 3 siblings. Maud and William went on to be publicans of Prince of Wales in Tipton, 1 Bloomfield Rd (William Evans listed as licensee) and many family stories are told about Maud, as a landlady. But I thought this was likely my wishful thinking at it's finest  ;D

Does anyone have any ideas? Some branches just seem to discover themselves, and others need a bit more brain power, don't they!

Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more info re: Maud Evans nee SMITH, b. June 1891 in Tipton/Dudley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately with a name like Smith the marriage certificate is really the safest way to go to be sure of the right lady.

Do you have her exact date of birth from the record you have found?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline shauniibd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more info re: Maud Evans nee SMITH, b. June 1891 in Tipton/Dudley
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately with a name like Smith the marriage certificate is really the safest way to go to be sure of the right lady.

Do you have her exact date of birth from the record you have found?

I feared as much  :(

I do, her date of birth is listed as 27 July 1891 on the 1939 register

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
The wedding took place at Christ Church, Coseley
EVANS   William   
SMITH   Maud   
Coseley, Christ Church   
Dudley Register Office   208/008/380
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lzzl25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 November 22 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any help but I have a James Smith born 1863 in my tree. In the census of 1901 he is recorded :-
1901 • Sedgley, Staffordshire
Relationship to Head of Household: Head; Marital Status: Married; Occupation: Publican; Living at Prince of Wales Inn, 1 Bloomfield Road,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 November 22 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Free check of 1921 index states she was born in Tipton 1892.

I think her birthdate was probably 27/7/1892 (not 1891 as given in 1939) and that her birth reg'd Sept.1892, Dudley, mmn Tomson.   Parents George Smith and Keturah Tomson married 16/2/1890 Tipton.   George died 1898 and Keturah remarried to an Albert Fellows in 1906.

However, you can only prove it by obtaining marriage certificate of Maud in 1912 to see if her father is George (deceased) and whether witnesses names help.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lzzl25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 November 22 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The James Smith I mentioned is most likely brother of George, both sons of Daniel Smith and Martha Bagby
Married 27 Sep 1858 • All Saints, Sedgley, Staffordshire
Groom: age 25, bachelor of Princes End; Occupation: Roller; Father: George, Engineer; Bride: age 21, spinster of Princes End; Father: John, Miner;

George had a daughter Maud; born
2 Nov 1892 • Tipton, Staffordshire
Baptised 16 Aug 1892 at Bloomfield Wesleyan Methodist

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 November 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The James Smith I mentioned is most likely brother of George, both sons of Daniel Smith and Martha Bagby
Married 27 Sep 1858 • All Saints, Sedgley, Staffordshire
Groom: age 25, bachelor of Princes End; Occupation: Roller; Father: George, Engineer; Bride: age 21, spinster of Princes End; Father: John, Miner;

George had a daughter Maud; born
2 Nov 1892 • Tipton, Staffordshire
Baptised 16 Aug 1892 at Bloomfield Wesleyan Methodist

Just looked on FreeReg at the baptism - Maud was indeed baptised 16/8/1892 but you have the wrong birthdate - born 27/7/1892 - so does indeed appear to be the Maud Smith who married William Evans.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lzzl25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 November 22 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Totally the wrong birth date, no idea what happened there, thanks for pointing it out 😊
Lizzie