Author Topic: Finding arrival of Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) Burmeister between 1835 and 1875  (Read 2325 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding arrival of Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) Burmeister between 1835 and 1875
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 04:08 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/221649452 NSW Government Gazette 23 December 1890 issue 739, page 9804

Conditional Purchases notice...  from Wagga Land Board. 
CP no. 85-4 
J H BURMEISTER,  Urana District,  6 August 1886,  240 acres,
Section 26,  Parish of Boreegerry,   Portion 64.

https://www.nswlrs.com.au/Parish-and-Historical-Maps
https://www.nswlrs.com.au/Historical-Records-Online

Attaching a snip from 1890 NSW Lands Titles Map of  Parish of Boreegerry, County of Urana for the Corowa and Urana Land Districts. Is that likely a further spelling of Harry's first given name?

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 04:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was Jurgen, as written there. His son Samuel was born at Goonambil Station, Urana, in 1885.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 04:33 BST (UK) »
I will steal that thanks, Essie.
You would have to think the Collingwood guy is Heinrich the cabinetmaker who arrived in Melbourne in 1858. I guess the question is: Is he the same man who married Elizabeth Nowlan and then had a handful of kids with Agnes Amelia Patterson? Or were there two (Jurgen) Heinrich Burmeisters? Is the cabinetmaker not part of our story?

The cabinet maker Henry BURMEISTER was still in Melbourne on the rates books in 1881/2.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 04:35 BST (UK) »
So if it is the same man, he arrives in Melbourne in 1858, marries Elizabeth Nowlan in 1866 (presumably in Melbourne), buys land at Alexandra in 1872, is still listed as a cabinetmaker in Collingwood in 1877 -- and 1881-- but by then is in a relationship with Agnes Amelia Patterson and is in the Urana-Corowa-Albury area having children by 1878 at the latest and buying land at Urana in 1886.

I think it is more likely that the cabinetmaker Heinrich married Elizabeth Nowlan and stayed in Melbourne. The other Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) headed to Alexandra, bought land there and met Agnes Amelia, then they kept going north and had their kids around Urana, registering the births at Corowa and Albury.

So we still don't know when our Harry got to Australia! lol 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
So if it is the same man, he arrives in Melbourne in 1858, marries Elizabeth Nowlan in 1866 (presumably in Melbourne), buys land at Alexandra in 1872, is still listed as a cabinetmaker in Collingwood in 1877 -- and 1881-- but by then is in a relationship with Agnes Amelia Patterson and is in the Urana-Corowa-Albury area having children by 1878 at the latest and buying land at Urana in 1886.

I think it is more likely that the cabinetmaker Heinrich married Elizabeth Nowlan and stayed in Melbourne. The other Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) headed to Alexandra, bought land there and met Agnes Amelia, then they kept going north and had their kids around Urana, registering the births at Corowa and Albury.

So we still don't know when our Harry got to Australia! lol

That seems to be so.   

So it looks like you will need to rely on the official record for his death to give you how long in the colony (no pun intended, but I did look through the 1875 Greville PO directory for HOWLONG !) and for one of the birth certs to give you his marriage.

I should also mention that in NSW in that era, you most likely needed to a NSW citizen to formally purchase land,  so either the Lands Titles Office umm.... overlooked seeking naturalization papers ... or more likely ... I cannot find them indexed at NSW State Archives :  https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/naturalization-citizenship-guide

(ADD,  Naturalisation papers have date of birth, place of birth, name of ship of arrival, date, what port it came from, name of spouse, details about children, addresses in the colonies, current address, .... chapter and verse ... so to write. )

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 05:05 BST (UK) »
The Argus 4th Nov 1858
Shipping Intelligence
The Barque “Podesta” sailed from Hamburg on 17th July 1858 and arrived Melbourne Nov 3rd
446 tons, Master: M. Angelbeck.
        The handwriting on the passenger list is bad & extremely difficult to read.
Just over 20 passengers.
However, I believe on board was a H. Burmeister, single, age 25.

An observation: If your man was born about 1835, he is rather old (40 ish) for a first marriage in 1875. I think the 1866 marriage found by Essie is a good possibility.

(I had a look for naturalisation papers, but could only find them for Leopold Burmeister a watchmaker.)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 05:27 BST (UK) »
From rootdigger we know the 1858 H Burmeister arrival was the cabinetmaker, and he seems to be the one who married Elizabeth Nowland in 1866. Our guy seems to be a different person with a similar name, who headed upcountry while the cabinetmaker stayed in Melbourne. Agnes Amelia was born about 1852, and her age is more important than her husband's age in regard to family etc. I'm beginning to think there might not have been a formal marriage anyway. We will see what the death and birth certificates tell us.
Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 05:43 BST (UK) »
1891 NSW Householders ‘Census’
Census district No. 64, Urana
Sub District: Goonambil N & S, Clear Hills and Burrangong.
County of Urana.
Clear Hills : …….
J H BURMESTER,   8 males, 4 females.
……..
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKKQ-GSMK

Notice that the Innes(s) family are near neighbours (likely same family as from the snip I posted earlier)

(N & S as in North and South)

JM