Author Topic: Finding arrival of Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) Burmeister between 1835 and 1875  (Read 2334 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding arrival of Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) Burmeister between 1835 and 1875
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
The ever-helpful Rosball has put me on to an obit in the Albury Banner for Harry's wife. It says she was English, so that Irish family arriving in Melbourne is a red herring. It says she was born in 1849, so that would be her born in Barnet, Hertfordshire, after all. It says she arrived in Australia aged 17 (1866) and married Harry nine years later (1875). It doesn't say where but it may have been Alexandra Vic. Hopefully we will know more about that when the certificates arrive. It said she left four sons and three daughters. They would all have been Burmeister children as she was 48 when she married her second husband.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 April 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
The ever-helpful Rosball has put me on to an obit in the Albury Banner for Harry's wife. It says she was English, so that Irish family arriving in Melbourne is a red herring. It says she was born in 1849, so that would be her born in Barnet, Hertfordshire, after all. It says she arrived in Australia aged 17 (1866) and married Harry nine years later (1875). It doesn't say where but it may have been Alexandra Vic. Hopefully we will know more about that when the certificates arrive. It said she left four sons and three daughters. They would all have been Burmeister children as she was 48 when she married her second husband.

The National Library of Australia’s Trove website is one of the many great resources that are readily available and do not require subscriptions to use.   Trove is of course far more than just newspapers, but The Albury Banner and Wodonga Express 1871-1938 has been digitised and is included at Trove.   The paper copy would likely have been readily available for decades at the Library in Canberra and likely also at the NSW State Library in Sydney. 

Here is the live link to the article our OP refers to.  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/99435775  it is from page 46 of the edition of 26 October 1923 and is a paragraph under the heading LATE DISTRICT NEWS.

My transcription:
The death occurred at Albury on October 6, after a long and painful illness, of Mrs Agnes Amelia OAKROOT, at the age of 74 years.  Deceased, who was widely known and highly respected in the district, came from London as a girl of 17.  Nine years later she married the late Mr. Harry BURMEISTER, of Clear Hills Station.  After Mr. Burmeister’s death, deceased resided in Victoria for a time, and later married Mr. Andrew OAKFOOT, coming to live in Pleasant Hills 20 years ago.  Deceased leaves three sons and four daughters.  The funeral took place in the Church of England cemetery at Albury.

The parish maps (see links posted previously and at RChat's NSW Resources board) for early 1900s for Pleasant Hills includes town lots for AA OAKROOT, and for E.N. BURMEISTER along Edgehill Street.   In the NOTES section of that official map it also notes that the Village of Munyabla was proclaimed 10 December 1892 and its name was altered to Pleasant Hills , Gazette 14 August 1897. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 April 21 00:52 BST (UK) »
I lived in Albury for a while and Pleasant Hills was one of the townships we visited for a nice drive and a refreshing ale around lunch time. I think they eventually sold the pub licence to a pokie palace or bottle shop chain. They were using the old pub building as a community centre, last I heard. But I digress. I'm told Harry Burmeister's mother's maiden name was Caroline Magdalena Hass (we knew the Caroline part), and I have a couple of alternative places of birth, so I'll be interested to see what the death cert says -- assuming the informants knew it, of course.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 April 21 00:55 BST (UK) »
I am quite familiar with Culcairn ... excellent coffee at Culcairn Bakery .
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 April 21 02:05 BST (UK) »
I have again searched NSW BDM online for possible marriage in 1875 (ish) for Agnes and Harry.  And one of my elderly rellies has phoned me to remind me that the flooding issues of that era include such significant family history matters as ...
a) loss of parish registers due to inundation of the church building and/or the manse
b) loss of official records due to inundation at post office or land board office or court house

So a quick check at Trove indicates frequent flooding of the flats around Albury in the 1870s...  for example :
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/247271985 Burrangong Argus 8 Sept 1875
....Flood at Albury -  the river is flooded and higher than it was ever known to be and is still rising...

I seem to recall a long discussion with a family history buff perhaps nearly a decade or so ago regarding missing parish registers pre the NSW 1879 Clergy Returns Transfer Act.   Flooding was one significant consideration. 

My fingers are crossed that the death registration I noted at reply 1 gives you confidence in the informant's knowledge and has details of his parents, his place of birth, his time in the colonies, his usual address, when and where married, children and resolves any confusions.

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 April 21 03:19 BST (UK) »
 Mr. Harry BURMEISTER, of Clear Hills Station.

Does anyone know exactly where this place is or was?

We have Harry/Henry acquiring land as early as 1872 in the Alexandra area (Reply #19 this thread)
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 April 21 03:22 BST (UK) »
Yes !

back shortly, but it is in the Riverina, NSW .... I posted a 1891 householder sighting.

Back
reply #26  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKKQ-GSMK

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 April 21 03:29 BST (UK) »
Here's some scribble  ;D by a NSW enumerator

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 April 21 03:31 BST (UK) »
Phone call info

(per the ancient rellies)

Arrival of a male BURMEISTER 12 November 1862.  He was aged 24.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHQ-FSMP

From Port Chalmers, New Zealand per the Aldinga to Hobsons Bay. 

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TC18621107.2.18
Colonist 7 Nov 1862
The Aldinga from Otago to Melbourne, on the 30th ultimo took 150 returned diggers ….

JM