Author Topic: Finding arrival of Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) Burmeister between 1835 and 1875  (Read 2323 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding arrival of Jurgen Heinrich (Harry) Burmeister between 1835 and 1875
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 April 21 04:02 BST (UK) »
the Land Titles Office is no longer.  It is now a private enterprise. 

But, from the 1891 NSW householders Census image available at family search,  I can see INNESS and BURMEISTER as householders at Clear Hills etc....
And from the civil parish maps that were once the main stay of online NSW family history rural properties searchings.... I can see that:

The NSW Land Titles Office assigned the subsisting portions of Boreegerry Parish the Deposited Plan 756393 in 1971.

Two snips attached  … look for U1646 William INNES and also U2086   (U1646 was 60 acres, Portion 51.   U2086 was Jurgen Burmeister 240 acres Portion 64)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 15 April 21 04:04 BST (UK) »
OOPS,

Here's the second one.

Nope, wrong one.  back soon
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 April 21 04:09 BST (UK) »
OOPS,

Here's the second one.

Nope, wrong one.  back soon

THIS ONE  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 15 April 21 04:50 BST (UK) »
Apparently the first child of Harry and Agnes was a son named August Henry. Some Ancestry trees have him born on 4 Jun 1877. Cemetery index and Find a Grave say born 1876 (apparently from age at death). But no one knows where he was born. Logically Vic or NSW but I checked SA as well, no luck anywhere. We have his marriage
15444/1913 BURMEISTER AUGUST H COPSEY KATHLEEN LOCKHART
and his death
BURMEISTER AUGUST HENRY 3830/1944 JERGON HEINDRICH AGNES AMELIA NARRANDERA
(with new variations on how to spell Harry's name). But I guess I have to hope Emily's birth cert gives us some information on her big brother.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 15 April 21 05:06 BST (UK) »
Apparently the first child of Harry and Agnes was a son named August Henry. Some Ancestry trees have him born on 4 Jun 1877. Cemetery index and Find a Grave say born 1876 (apparently from age at death). But no one knows where he was born. Logically Vic or NSW but I checked SA as well, no luck anywhere. We have his marriage
15444/1913 BURMEISTER AUGUST H COPSEY KATHLEEN LOCKHART
and his death
BURMEISTER AUGUST HENRY 3830/1944 JERGON HEINDRICH AGNES AMELIA NARRANDERA
(with new variations on how to spell Harry's name). But I guess I have to hope Emily's birth cert gives us some information on her big brother.

No, that's only the INDEX info from NSW BDM for the registration of his marriage and the INDEX info from NSW BDM for registration of his death.   The actual official record as per that index reference 15444 of his 1913 marriage should have his place of birth.

The index is really only an aid, a pointer to the actual record.   Have you contacted those Ancestry Tree owners to see if they have any actual official records to share with you?  Or perhaps invite them to join RChat?

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 April 21 05:12 BST (UK) »
I fear the Ancestry people will have just copied each other. And I try to rely on the indexes rather than purchase certificates -- the pension only goes so far!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 15 April 21 05:41 BST (UK) »
Ancestry's offering for Australian Births is a compilation of quite a number of indexes, and many of those indexes were already compilations of other indexes.  But Ancestry is a commercial operation, so there is subscription fees involved, and there's third party conditions involving T & C. 

Fortunately for your current quest, both VIC BDM and NSW BDM indexes are online and are free to search.  Sadly, even a search using those two indexes are not finding the 1875 marriage.   

There's excellent resources at all the sub-boards at RChat's Australia Resources :   https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/  and quite a number of regulars do go to various archives, not just in the capital cities, but regionally as well.

I think the best current armchair search option for your Harry is TROVE, and as an added benefit, Trove is absolutely no charge, and absolutely no need to register or to log in.  https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/advanced/category/newspapers   

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 May 21 04:12 BST (UK) »
The certificates arrived from NSW BDM this morning. I got Harry's death certificate and also the birth certificate for Emily, the youngest child.

So we now know Harry died from liver cancer at Urana Hospital. He was 61 years old, which confirms the 1835 birth date. We knew his father's name but not that he was a soldier. We have his mother as Caroline Haas, and it appears as Asse on this, but that might be an acceptable variation. The birthplace seems to be Ranitsberg, Germany, which I can't find. I had Lübeck Hansestadt, Lubeck, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  My best guess is Ahrensbök, but that's not terribly close. The place of birth on the birth certificate seems to be Raudsburg, so perhaps they are both supposed to be Rendsburg.

Working backwards, when he died in 1896 he had been 18 years in NSW, meaning he arrived there in 1878. Before that he was 12 years in Victoria, which means he arrived in Australia about 1866.

He married Agnes Amelia Patterson in Victoria when he was 41, so about 1876. We had the Alexandra marriage as 1875, so that's about right. She was an English girl who came to Australia when she was 17, arriving about 1866 as well. (In fact, Emily's birth certificate says they were married in Alexandra on 4 Jul 1875.)

The death cert lists his children as August Henry, 19; Alice, 15; Maud Rosina, 13 and a half; Ernest Nicholas 12; Samuel Alexander, 11 (Myrtle's father); William James, 9; Agnes Amelia, ; Emily Bertha, 4. I didn't know about Maud but have found her marriage and grave at Howlong now. It also lists 1 male child and 1 female child deceased. These are Caroline (1878-1882) and Frederick W (1880-1880).   

We had a marriage and death for August, but no birth. We have now confirmed he was born about  1877.

It took a long time to get these -- and the fact they arrived today might indicate they are working on Saturdays to clear a backlog. Anyway, we have them now. I guess the most important thing is we now know how long the Burmeisters have been in Australia.

The only outstanding questions are really that birthplace. As always, thanks for all your help.

Geoff

I will send the birth in a separate post.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 08 May 21 04:13 BST (UK) »
The birth cert.