Author Topic: The Genealogist: Dagenham Essex 1841 Tithe Map  (Read 523 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Genealogist: Dagenham Essex 1841 Tithe Map
« on: Wednesday 14 April 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
The National Archives states that the Dagenham Tithe Maps (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2301173) are avaiable to download from the Genealogist.

I don't mind signing up for a PAYG subscription if this is the case, but I'm not interested if it's just the paperwork, which I already obtained from the Essex Records Office some years ago. My copies of the maps from the ERO have faded though and are now useless and were not very good quality anyway.

Would someone with a subscription mind checking for me if high resolution (i.e. readable) maps are indeed available for download? - Please note that I'm not asking for downloads or screenshots as I know that would be a breach of copyright.

Thanks, Steve.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogist: Dagenham Essex 1841 Tithe Map
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
Yes the maps are there and appear to be good quality. They are also interactive to a certain extent, with clickable "pins" to tell you the landowner and tenant of each plot. But you can also view them without the pins.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Yes the maps are there and appear to be good quality. They are also interactive to a certain extent, with clickable "pins" to tell you the landowner and tenant of each plot. But you can also view them without the pins.

Brilliant. Thanks for that. Unfortunately the viewable copies at the ERO are reduced prints of the MASSIVE orginals, which have a note attached saying that due to their large size the originals will not be brought out for viewing under any circumstances. Consequently some of the writing, including many of the plot numbers are unreadable even with a magnifier. I'll give these a go tomorrow.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
  I am interested in this as I would like to get access to some Kent tithe maps. When I looked just now at the National Archive catalogue for my current interest, Nackington, it does not mention the Genealogist, just that the map is held at the Kent History and Library Centre. Does this mean that the Genealogist does not have all tithe maps?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
The Genealogist does have Nackington tithe maps
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 20:28 BST (UK) »
  Thank you!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:27 BST (UK) »

Done. Yes they are fantastic quality, especially when compared to the ERO versions. I have now found the exact locations of (rather than guessing) my great x3 and great x4 grandfather's plots (eight of them). My guesswork was pretty good with one, not so good with the other.

Thanks again.