Author Topic: birth ireland  (Read 1284 times)

Offline giblaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
birth ireland
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all looking for county of birth in Ireland for James O'Toole 13 sept 1912 definite He married Dorothy Batty Jan 1940 Dartford Kent.  1939 reg gives a James O'Toole 9th sep 1912 Residence Salisbury Wiltshire  General Labourer i think his father was also James O'Toole  but not sure. any help would be fantastic :)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline giblaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: birth ireland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 00:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say do not think this is my man as have a Death Cert for James which states birth date 13 September 1912 also have marriage cert which says father James O'Toole as a farmer in 1940 not sure if in Ireland or England

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 03:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say do not think this is my man as have a Death Cert for James which states birth date 13 September 1912 also have marriage cert which says father James O'Toole as a farmer in 1940 not sure if in Ireland or England

Well, your problem is that there is no birth registered for a James O'Toole with that date anywhere in Ireland. So:
- Could be the birth was unregistered. Not at all uncommon
- Could be that the birth date is incorrect. Lots of laboring class did not actually know.

Was the 1940 marriage a Catholic church one? If so, I would say your best course of action is to look up the church register entry for the marriage.  It may well record both parents names. Once you have those, you can then locate their marriage in Ireland.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline giblaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 06:00 BST (UK) »
hi wexflyer thanks for info about unregistered births likely whats happened the marriage was in England a Roman Catholic wedding 17 feb 1940 St Anslems Church Spital St Dartford it says father of the groom James O'Toole  Profession Farmer and have a copy of death cert which states dob 13th sep 1912 Irish Republic his death 29 jan 1980 Gravesend Kent do you think the 1921 census will reveal his place of birth when it is released thanks for your help & input

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 06:14 BST (UK) »
hi wexflyer thanks for info about unregistered births likely whats happened the marriage was in England a Roman Catholic wedding 17 feb 1940 St Anslems Church Spital St Dartford it says father of the groom James O'Toole  Profession Farmer and have a copy of death cert which states dob 13th sep 1912 Irish Republic his death 29 jan 1980 Gravesend Kent do you think the 1921 census will reveal his place of birth when it is released thanks for your help & input

There is no 1921 census.  Unless you mean the English one.
As for the wedding, I don't mean the civil registration record, I mean the actual church register, which often has the mother's name, which is not on the civil registration record.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 21 06:44 BST (UK) »
What was James’ occupation on his marriage?

Do you think that he is the one in Salisbury or is that just the best guess?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
hi Heywood   On the marriage cert he was a general labourer so he could be the one in Salisbury he was living in Dartford on the cert and in the 1939 the birth date is slightly different 9th sep 1912 instead of the date on his death cert 13th sep 1912 but that happens quite a bit with records unfortunately it still does not give me what county he was born in Ireland and his mothers maiden name which would hopefully give me a marriage of his father James O'Toole will keep trying to link

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
As Wexflyer says, you could try the parish records.

You may find help here:
https://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/crockenhill-gravesend/dartford

Records should still be with the parish according to the diocesan notes
http://www.rcsouthwark.co.uk/Archives.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk