Author Topic: Alexanderina Sutherland 1847-Lairg  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexanderina Sutherland 1847-Lairg
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the mother's maiden surname was also Sutherland?
We are also assuming that the grandson got the forenames correct on the death record. ::)
He grew up in his grandfather's house - so maybe he knew somethings.

Here is a birth record to consider:
DONALD SUTHERLAND
WILLIAM SUTHERLAND/MARGARET SUTHERLAND FR 39 (FR39)
20/07/1802 Kildonan
052/
10 32
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 April 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
A marriage for William Sutherland and Margaret Sutherland
31/02/1792 Kildonan

Children that I can see:
John 1792 Kildonan
Donald 1802 Kildonan
Angus 1805 Kildonan

On every census Donald Sutherland has his place of birth as Lairg - so I am not entirely convinced the Donald in Kildonan is correct.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 April 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
I had a look at Isobel Gordon’s family a bit more

William Gordon and Betty McLeod married 02/07/1801 Kildonan.
Children:
Ann 1802
Isobel 1804
George 1806
Jean 1808
Mary 1810
Elspat 1813
Johanna 1815

The 1801 date of their marriage suggests births around 1775-1780.

In the 1841 and 1851 census in Kildonan (address Navidale) there is a crofter William Gordon (of the right age) with his wife Isabella and children.
Isabella (nee Grant) and William married in 1818. She is almost 20 years younger than him, which is why I think that this is a second marriage for William (after Betty McLeod died).
Their children are George 1818, Elizabeth 1820, Christian / Christy 1822, Alexandrina / Lexy 1825.

The point of all this, is there is a death cert for William Gordon in Kildonan in 1859 age 81 - Mmn Bannerman (therefore born abt 1778). This might be your Bella’s father.
His certificate should say if he had a first wife and have his parents’ names – you might like to take a punt and spend some more credits?

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 April 21 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hey woah, lots for me to look at tonight. I did pull that record and all it says is that he was married. I also think his job is listed as a Lotteo? or maybe it says Father. I'm not sure. The witness is George Gordon, Son. So that does match, as it looks like he has 2 Georges.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 April 21 04:10 BST (UK) »
George #1 may have died as a child.

Lotteo ? Or Crofter?

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 April 21 05:49 BST (UK) »
I’m honestly not sure what it says. I’ve attached it. Maybe you can read it. I think maybe it’s Father.

I’m still looking at the other side and it’s like a rabbit hole. How reliable is the information on family search? I’ve found a Family that matches this family on there but I’m worried that people just add whoever they want with no sources.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 April 21 06:30 BST (UK) »
I think it may say "LOTTER" as in a person who rents a plot of land; specifically a cottar or crofter. We know from the census he was a crofter.

What a shame there is no more information about marriage or a 1st wife - nothing to confirm my theory that it was a second marriage. So now it just leaves a question mark on that possibility.  :'(

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 April 21 06:34 BST (UK) »
How reliable is the information on family search? I’ve found a Family that matches this family on there but I’m worried that people just add whoever they want with no sources.
The only reliable information is in the original source documents - all available from Scotlands People.
I would be very careful believing any trees up on Ancestry or Familysearch unless there is original source documentation to support them.

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 April 21 07:08 BST (UK) »
Lotter makes so much more sense then Father. Haha. Thank you. I am going to leave it alone for the night as it’s all mixed up in my head.

Family search seems dangerous. I feel like this is how you end up with the wrong family on your tree. I found a child in my GGs tree that she definitely didn’t have.

I will look at this again tomorrow and come back with what I find. But I want you to know how thankful I am for your time and effort. You’ve found 2 more generations for me and broken through a wall I couldn’t get through. Thank you.