Author Topic: Alexanderina Sutherland 1847-Lairg  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexanderina Sutherland 1847-Lairg
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 April 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
IN the 1851 census there is also a daughter named Mary, born about 1844. I can see no birth record for her either.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 April 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree, it seems Isabella died before 1851 census and after Alexandrina's birth.
Since registration started in Scotland in 1855, there will not be a death certificate for her, and there seems to be no burial record (often the case sadly).
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 April 21 08:00 BST (UK) »
I cant find her birth record either. I've spent so much time searching on SP for her. Nothing. I do wonder if that is Margaret 1881 census though. Who is Margaret? All the census say she was born in 1833, but they don't have a child born that year.   Edit** to add I believe I just found a christening for Margaret June 1830 to Dond sutherland and Isobel Gordon.

Would you have any information on where she could have been buried? How would i go about seeing if i could find a headstone? or any type of marker.
I did find a marriage certificate for Isabel and Donald on SP a while back but haven't been able to find it since. Do those records have much information? 1825?

Sorry for all the questions its 1:00 am here and I'm going to sleep, so I can research any ideas in the morning, but I didn't want to miss being able to ask them while you are active.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry I had to leave suddenly and attend to visitors: here is a bit more information, before I head off to bed.

Marriage for Donald Sutherland and Isabel Gordon
Banns read
22/12/1825 Kildonan  ref  052/  20 35
and
23/12/1825  Lairg  ref  053/ 20 31

Kildonan will be the parish that Isobel came from. Marriage banns would have been read at his parish and her parish.
There is a possible bapt/birth for Isobel Gordon in Kildonan on 12/06/1804 – parents William Gordon and Betty McLeod -that fits with the naming of her children.
 (William G and Betty married 02/07/1801 Kildonan - had 6 daughters).

Children for Donald Sutherland and Isabel Gordon that I could find (all born Lairg)
Elspeth 23/11/1826
Betty 12/09/1828
Margaret 28/06/1830
Georgina 27/07/1832
Donald 21/05/1834
John abt 1834 (seen in 1841 census)
William 23/06/1836
Donald 29/11/1838
Johanna 02/08/1841
Mary abt 1844 (seen in 1851 census)
Alexandrina abt 1847 (seen in 1851 census)

The very brilliant folk in the night shift will be along shortly and no doubt add some more. ;)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 April 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
Marriage for Donald Sutherland and Isabel Gordon
Banns read
22/12/1825 Kildonan  ref  052/  20 35
Kildonan is on Aaran
Not this Kildonan! The parish of Kildonan is in Sutherland.

The reference 052 is the key. They numbered the parishes by county from north to south, and numbers from 42 to 56 are in Sutherland.

See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers#Detailed%20list for lists of the parish numbers.I

Edit: see you have edited that bit out of your post but I'll let it stand as I hope the link might be useful to others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
Neale1961 you were right!! He passed in 1881 and has Bella Gordon listed as spouse. I’m hoping maybe you can help me decipher this. There is no mother’s maiden name and I can’t read the cause of death?
I know I’ve already asked so much of you but I really do appreciate your time and effort. Thank you again I was stuck for a good month until you came in with your brilliance.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Neale1961 is offline currently. So to answer your questions, cause of death I think reads natural decay (old age really). The info on records is only as good as what is given by informants. Unfortunately, grandson did not remember his g grandmother's maiden name.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response Monica. I thought maybe that meant something else because the one below says old age. Natural decay. That’s such a weird way of saying old age.

Thank you for your response.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Here I am. Yes natural decay - old age. (Thanks Monica  :))
From memory, looking yesterday, I think Donald mcLeod, the informant is Margaret's son (illegitimate?) - he took over his grandfather's croft/ farm ( according to census).