Author Topic: Alfred Drury - where did he get to?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Drury - where did he get to?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 April 21 04:46 BST (UK) »
 You may like to have this information I have gathered about the later life of Elizabeth DRURY (nee EVANS), the wife left behind.

Throughout her life ,she remained at the  address of Brighton Street Flemington.  Number 24 is I think mentioned as her home at one time, but generally it is number 22.  Both these houses are still standing, located in the street which shows  many homes of the era restored. Use google earth street view to see them.

A woman named Alice Elizabeth  (nee PEARCE) had children with William BEACH in the area around Wangaratta  from around 1890 and  William died in 1921 in Melbourne . The widow, Mrs BEACH with some of her children, moved in with Elizabeth DRURY by 1931.

This shared occupancy lasted until 1942, when both women died, Elizabeth in June 1942 and Alice in November. Both interred at Fawkner Park, Alice with William.  Elizabeth cremated.

Death notice for Alice Elizabeth BEACH
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206829119

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 April 21 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue,  Maybe Lizzie took in a boarder to help pay the bills?

Offline JohnJG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 May 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Enjoyed this detective work around the missing Albert Drury. It was something I was puzzled with at present whilst I am doing a story on Dame Ivy, my grand father Joseph Evans Grant's cousin. That makes Elizabeth  my gg aunt and Albert my gg uncle.

Interestingly, Isaac Evans only gave Elizabeth  200 pounds in his will, and the same for sister Grace who was the only unmarried one. His widow and five other children divvied up the estate between them, with something closer to 800 pound each.  Did he not like Albert?

cheers

John