Author Topic: Alfred Drury - where did he get to?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Drury - where did he get to?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 April 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
TROVE has quite a few mentions of the marriage of Alice Parkinson and Alfred E Small,

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198088697
SMALL—PARKINSON.—On the 7th May. at St. John's the Less, North Brighton, by Rev. A. K. Raymond, assisted by Rev. M. Williams, Alfred E. Small, second son of William Small, North-road, Brighton, to Alice, only daughter of the late Ralph Parkinson, J.P., of Melton.

Quite a posh do by this account -
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/174576786

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 April 21 01:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, Well found, Tree Spirit.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 April 21 02:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Tree Spirit and others. This is an amazing discovery and explains so much.
My wife is hoping to write a book on her family history and this was just one of the mysteries which is now solved.  We will now start piecing all this new information together and including it into what we already have.    This is a wonderful forum, thank you  :)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 April 21 05:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Albert's death is still missing and there is a very big white gap between 1907-1937 that needs a bit more filling in, but at least you can be quite sure about him in 1937 and so you've got something to play with now.  :D

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 April 21 05:57 BST (UK) »
PS
I waded through a lot of Toronto burial indices, but without success. Of course I could have overlooked him, but it could also mean that he might have died somewhere else. Just something to keep in mind ...

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 April 21 05:59 BST (UK) »
No real answers, but thought I'd put my 2 bobs worth in:

In mid Dec 1907, the ad is back, but without the Drury name: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205002012?searchTerm=newmarket

I do wonder if this is Alice heading out of Australia in 1907.
It is quite

Mrs SMALL
Age 36 
Born about 1871 
Date Oct 1907 
Departure Place Victoria, Australia 
Destination LONDON VIA PORTS 
Ship VICTORIA 
Ship's Master HADDOCK R L 
Page:1 

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

Albert, I am guessing, would be with her or not far behind looking at the timelines we have found.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 April 21 06:06 BST (UK) »
I do wonder if this is Alice heading out of Australia in 1907.
It is quite

Mrs SMALL
Age 36 
Born about 1871 
Date Oct 1907 
Departure Place Victoria, Australia 
Destination LONDON VIA PORTS 
Ship VICTORIA 
Ship's Master HADDOCK R L 
Page:1 

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

Albert, I am guessing, would be with her or not far behind looking at the timelines we have found.
Sue

Yes, that specific emigration is mentioned in the divorce saga as well, but I don't believe Albert is listed on that same yoyage unless he travelled under a different name.

Here is copy of that particular passenger list: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMP-FWHK-V

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 April 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has some shipping records showing Alice Small entering the US and also entering Canada from US.  I do not have a world-wide subscription so I'm only able to see the index entries and obviously it may not be her at all.

I note in the letters given in the divorce papers that a cousin of Alice gave Alice's address in 1911 as
Mrs Alice Small
Gen. Delivery
Chicago, Illinois  USA

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Yes Judb, the divorce papers were interesting reading, all 52 pages of them.  We do not have International membership of Ancestry either, but the facts to date are ample to explain Albert's "...disappearance from the public record".  With his daughter Ivy in such high social circles, it is understandable why her father's whereabouts was not made public.  One wonders if Albert committed bigamy by marrying 5 years before he was widowed, or was he able to obtain a divorce in Canada?
I cannot find a divorce in Australia.