Author Topic: Alfred Drury - where did he get to?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
Alfred Drury - where did he get to?
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 06:19 BST (UK) »
We all love a mystery, but this one has me stumped.    Alfred Drury was born in Victoria in 1867 to John Drury and Elizabeth Lucy (Owen). He wed Elizabeth Evans in Vic in 1890.  They had 2 daughters: Ivy Evelyn Annie born 1896 at Malvern and Vera Grace born 1902 in Flemington.   Ivy married a Wedgwood and was a founding member of the Liberal Party.     I have all the info on them I need.  What I am seeking is: "Where did Alfred get to after 1907?"   He is in the papers as a farmer at various locations and he ended up running a Dairy in Brighton St Newmarket/Flemington.   In 1900 an Albert Davis was charged with threatening to Shoot Albert after Albert had sacked him.  Albert had been charged for having a cow loose in the street in Emerald Hill in 1900, and again for having Boric Acid in his milk in 1903.    Albert placed a Disclaimer in the paper in 1907 stating he was not the Albert Drury who had appeared in Court a few days previous.  This is the last I can find on him.    He was a beneficiary in his mother's will signed on 17th Oct 1907.     An Australian Parliament Biography, on Albert's daughter Ivy, states in part "...her father, a Farmer at the time of his marriage, ran a Dairy in Flemington, but he disappears from the public record after about 1908".     I would be grateful if anyone can throw some light on his disappearance.   All I have so far are theories.   ???

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Drury - where did he get to?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 21 06:54 BST (UK) »
How is father named on this marriage  certificate, 1921......(dec)?

What happened to Elizabeth DRURY nee EVANS after 1908?.  Did she marry again....how did she support two small children?. 

What happened to Vera Grace DRURY, born 1902?

BDM VIC marriage

10402/1921  DRURY Ivy Evelyn Annie   marr.  WEDGWOOD, Jack Kearns

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can you clarify please. Who are you looking for?
Was it Alfred or Albert?

You have used both names.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
Sue, the Victorian BMD index has this entry

3966/1867
DRURY, Albert
Parents: Elizabeth Lucy OWEN,  John
Place of birth: MYRINONG

So it looks as though it's ALBERT we're looking for. 
I assume MYRINONG is Maribrynong??
Edit - no it's north of Melbourne between Gisborne and Ballan, on the way to Bacchus Marsh.

I'm off to look again!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 April 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it is Albert Drury I am seeking, The Alfred is an error on my part. Thanks for picking that up.
No, it is Myrniong, a town near Bacchus Marsh in Vic. where he was born. Maribyrnong is a suburb of Melbourne.      Do the wedding certificates state if a parent is Deceased?  If so I would think the daughter's biographer would have picked that up, but may be worth a look.  Vera Grace, age 40, wed Cyril Frederick Jolliffe in 1942, the year her mother died, they lived at Yallourn.  Albert's wife died in 1942 as Elizabeth Drury, so she had not married again, there is no mention of Albert in her obit.
How she raised 2 young children is unknown.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 April 21 14:59 BST (UK) »
No real answers, but thought I'd put my 2 bobs worth in:

In Oct 1907, "A Drury"is looking for a millk carter: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205000841?searchTerm=%22brighton-st%22
In mid Dec 1907, the ad is back, but without the Drury name: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205002012?searchTerm=newmarket
(NB In the 1909 Electoral Rolls, Andrew Flockhart is living and running the dairy business at 22 Brighton-st/Eltham-st, Newmarket/Flemington while Elizabeth Drury is living next door at 24 Brighton-st. She is listed as a widow when she dies on 2 June 1942, but this could be a red herring.)

I wondering whether Albert Drury might have ended up in e.g. an asylum?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 April 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Well I wasn’t expecting this:

On 13 Dec 1937 Albert DRURY (widower!!!!, 70y, POB=Victoria, Australia, son of John DRURY and Elizabeth Lucy Owen) marries an Alice SMALL (widow, 66y, POB=Victoria, Australia!!!, daughter of Ralph PARKINSON and Charlotte PURCHASE) in ….. Toronto, Ontario Canada!!!
Their address is 638 Dufferin st, Toronto

Update:
Alice died In Vancouver on 22 Feb 1947. Albert seems to have died before her: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLRF-SCW
image: http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/d0744c79-0f6b-401b-b347-2aacec472a36

Update#2:
1911 divorce for Alice: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197392526?searchTerm=small

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 April 21 23:48 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Alice and Edmund

Alice Parkinson
Edmund Alb Small
 Victoria
 1890/2249

The divorce petition instigated by Edmund is digitised at Ancestry.
It describes their separation and he states Alice left for England in 1907.
there were 2 children of the marriage deserted also.

Sue

PS Amazing find Tree Spirit  ;D

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
Albert DRURY and Elizabeth had both been in Bacchus Marsh in earlier life and Albert sold up from there  in 1897
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/188141035

The birth of Alice nee PARKINSON shows she was from the same area.

Alice PARKINSON
Melton, Victoria
Year 1871
Father Ralph PPARKINSON
Charlotte PURCHAS
Reg 18268

Melton and Bacchus March are about 10 or 12 kilometers apart.

Sue