Author Topic: I feel as think as two planks, please help.  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
I feel as think as two planks, please help.
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
I get things in a muddle,  :)
what I would like to do is go on to Ancestry and put My research somewhere ( apart from on there ).
I have loads of research and feel it should not all be in the same place, plus it cost Me loads each year, because I am addicted  ;D I cannot let My subscription lapse , I get withdrawal symptoms .
I have worked out how to do the buttons to download GED thingy,  on to My desk top, I believe now I need a program to open it  ???  If I down load  "Roots Magic "  would that mean anyone could access My trees, I think what I am trying to say is will this download be private to Me, or can they let others in on it.  ok, I will stop now, feel a slight panic attack coming on ,  :)
Eillen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I feel as think as two planks, please help.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
What you are really asking, I think, is which Family History software program you should use to keep your research on your own computer, as well as continuing with your tree on Ancestry as currently.

There are many FH software programs out there and you will need to work out which suits you the best - most of them have trial downloads so that you can try them - I think the only one that doesn't is Family Tree Maker.

Once you have decided on the program for you and have bought the up to date version of it you should be able to load your Ancestry gedcom down load on to it.  However, unless you go for Family Tree Maker, which syncs with Ancestry, you will need to keep both your online Ancestry tree and your chosen software updated separately with all your research.

I think the beginning step is for you to decide which software to use - search on here as there are plenty of threads relating to software.

Your own software program is only on your computer and only available to you, unlike your Ancestry tree wich you can make public (although it can remain provate too).

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Pheno, thank you, that was pure and simple  :)

just what I needed ,

one last question, I understand the saying " nothing is for free "

but when I looked at "Roots Magic " it said free, what am I missing  ???

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
Roots Magic Essentials is free, but is a cut-down version of their software.

So, you can try it out.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry can't answer that one Eilleen as I don't use Roots Magic, but I assume that when you first download you either get a trial version for free (which won't have all the bells and whistles of the full version) or that the full version download is free but for a limited period of time.  That is how it works with most software.

Someone else who uses Roots Magic might be able to expand on this, however, I think you should be prepared to pay for a full working version of whatever program you choose after a short period of time.

Hope that helps, Pheno

Added: I see that KGarrad has responded to the affirmative whilst I was busy typing.
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 April 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Once again , thank you for your insights x

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 April 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
It's also easy to upgrade to the full version of RootsMagic ;D
It's the same software, but you get a "key" to enter which unlocks all the hidden bits.

RootsMagic also has a TreeShare, which can download your Ancestry tree, and allow you to make changes to your RootsMagic tree. (N.B. I haven't used this feature!)

Finally, for those on Facebook, there is a RootsMagic Users group. They are very helpful ;D
Some of those responding are RM employees.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 April 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
I settled on RootsMagic many years ago after trying most of the others and find it does everything I want for my family history. I haven't tried the free version but there is a page here comparing the features of the two versions: https://rootsmagic.co.uk/compare-essentials/

I don't think there is any time limit on the free version, and it appears to be fully functional but without the extra features shown on the comparison page. If your ancestors were mostly in the UK I would suggest you get the UK version.

Everything connected with computers is a 'learning curve' but RM is not difficult to get started with. You just run the program and import the GEDCOM file that you have downloaded.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 April 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
All this information is an amazing help,

thank you,

I will now go look at prices  :)