Author Topic: Mary Smith/Colin Smith  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Mary Smith/Colin Smith
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying so far without success to trace my 5th Great Grandfather, apparently called Colin Smith.

So far, I have traced his daughter, the only child of his I am aware of, Mary Smith.

According to census records, she was born around 1829 in Hull. She gives that answer consistently over the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1901 census.

I have not been able to trace her on the 1891 census, but she and her husband were in a workhouse type thing in 1901, so perhaps it is connected to that.

There are a few potential Mary Smith's on the 1841 census, none with a Colin Smith, but he could well have been dead by then I suppose. I can't find a Colin Smith anywhere on the 1841 census.

She married a John Willingham on 3rd February 1848 in Sculcoates. She was living on York Street, as was John Willingham. She gives her fathers name as Colin Smith and his profession as labourer.

One of the witnesses is an Ann Smith, so that could potentially be a sister or cousin.

I haven't been able to find a trace of Colin Smith apart from his name on that marriage record. At least no records that tie him to Hull. There are records for a Scottish Colin Smith and one in Sheffield, but nothing else. I can't find a burial record or marriage record for Hull or that area under the name of Colin Smith.

I can't find a baptism record for Mary Smith either.

I was wondering if anyone else might be aware of this relationship or about Colin Smith of that period?

Thank you
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Smith/Colin Smith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
I note Mary's marriage but her husband is noted as George Willingham?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate is on FindMyPast and shows Mary's father as Colin a labourer.

Mary's father may have been called Colin or maybe it is a fictional father to disguise illegitimacy
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bee and ColC.

I made a mistake, it is George that Mary married. I must have written John reflexively as I've just sorted out a tangle of John Willingham!

I am leaning towards that it might be a made up father. Last night I was trying to solve the mystery of where she was in 1891, by looking at the census records of her children. I noticed one of her sons had an uncle living with him called William Kent. It's not his wife's uncle as she had a different maiden name, so I'm wondering if it's his mother's brother.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
I seem to have found George Willingham on the 1891 census. He's living as a boarder, but still listed as married so Mary must have been elsewhere.

The birth year is slightly out, but I think it's him. Ancestry has his birthplace transcribed as Cottingham, but I'm fairly certain it's Ottringham. I can't see a C anyway.  I can imagine if he was living with someone else, they might have got his birth a few years out. Also, I've looked for a George Willingham born that would fit that new birthdate and I can't find one.

Makes me wonder what on Earth was happening to Mary. Perhaps she was already ill, but if so I haven't been able to find her.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
The "workhouse type thing" you mentioned for 1901 was "God's House Hospital commonly called The Charterhouse" in Hull.

There is a lady Rootschatter on here goes by the name of Suttontrust, she appears to have done a lot of research on residents of The Charterhouse, maybe if you send her a message she may be able to help.

I agree that George on the 1891 says Ottringham not Cottingham. Still can't find Mary on the 1891 census.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 April 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
That's really helpful, thank you Bee

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
Just a really long shot - but the "uncle" William KENT on the 1891 census might be a clue. :-\

Family Search
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NR79-761

Mary STEPHENSON christened 1845 (to Colin and Sarah). FMPast has the image and it says she was born 1829.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NV8R-DF7

Marriage of John Henry SMITH and Mary STEPHENSON (father Colin).
FMPast

Marriage of William KENT (age 28)and Ann STEPHENSON (age 22 -father Colling STEPHENSON) 03 Sep 1850
Marriage place   Drypool, St Andrew

I wonder if perhaps Mary's first marriage to John Henry SMITH didn't work out and she just married Mr WILLINGHAM using that surname?

Oh well,something to look at anyway! :)

Maureen

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Here is some background information:

https://hullcharterhouse.co.uk/about-us

There is also a Facebook page.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU