Author Topic: Wanting help finding family history  (Read 829 times)

Offline toniS94

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wanting help finding family history
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is my first post on this forum as a new member, I am wanting to find someone who can help me find some family history that I've been trying to find for a few years now. I will give you the basic knowledge of what I know so far below I would appreciate it very much if anyone could help me.

I am wanting to research family history from my dad's mother's family.

I was told as a kid that my grandmother was born in the North East of England around 1943 roughly, her family were or are romany gypsies and her surname at the time was Crighton. I haven't had any success searching any further then her as I dont have any other information as I was only 1 when she passed away and my dad had told me he doesn't have much information either I've tried ancestry sites but haven't got far.

I also don't know where I can search her surname for any leads into my gypsy heritage. Its been hard because I only know her name, the year she was born and where and that she told my dad that she was born and lived in a traditional Boston caravan l. I would really appreciate any help anyone has it has just been something I've really wanted to research and eventually embrace my roots/heritage and generally know more after never knowing my family history for 27 years  :)

So a big thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.   :D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting help finding family history
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi toniS94

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

So that people can try to help you further, you might want to add some additional details.

What was your grandmother's full name as you know it.

Have you found and viewed her marriage certificate. This would give you her father's name to help you work back with more confidence. Finding her birth cert is also important as it will give you her mother's maiden name. With this and father's name, you have a better chance to find their marriage and possible siblings for her.

This period you are starting with is hard as it is quite recent and lots of records and info are not available online. Once you get further back you will hopefully be able to find more info available online.

For now, you need to make sure you start with the right family for her.

RC have a policy of not allowing living people to be named and discussed here on the boards to protect their privacy. So just bear that in mind when adding any details here.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toniS94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply I do have her full name, it was Margaret Jean Crighton and I haven't had any luck finding anything significant im afraid. I'm actually not sure where to look if I'm honest as some resources can be expensive.

But if you could recommend some websites or historical places I could search for information that would be appreciated.

And ill keep that in mind when posting on here to keep some information safe and not published.

My Father doesn't actually have much information to go off either thats why I'm starting from scratch.  :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too and hope we can help you get started.

Have a look at the Free BMD index where you can search for births, marriages, deaths.
It's a good site to start with and completely free to use. 

There is a Margaret Crighton birth on there registered March 1943 Border district which covers areas of Cumberland. 
All entries are in quarters so doesn't mean she was born in March. 

The registration gives her mothers maiden name of Gilchrist.
Might not be her but one to start off with and if you look for a marriage with those two surnames you will find one. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 16:55 BST (UK) »
from
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

At freebmd, there were three more Crighton births with mother's maiden name as Gilchrist but, since they were all more recent than 1943, they might be alive, so I won't post them.
One was a male in Newcastle upon Tyne in March 1949. The other two were in Stafford, a male in 1957 and a female in 1959.

edit: probably not this couple. see next post.

I found this marriage:
December Quarter, 1941
Marriage
Crighton and  Gilchrist, in Newcastle T. Vol 10b page 190

[you'd expect them to be 100+, I hope I can post their names. If not, let me know]
edited again - they are not "officially closed" on the 1939 register, so I took out their given names.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
I found this marriage:
December Quarter, 1941
Marriage
Crighton and  Gilchrist, in Newcastle T. Vol 10b page 190

[you'd expect them to be 100+, I hope I can post their names. If not, let me know]
After looking at the 1939 register, I don't think these are the parents of your grandmother, which would also eliminate the 1949 male birth in Newcastle T. as being a sibling.

Both parties are on the register if you want to look.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
Did she marry? If she did, do you have the marriage certificate for her father's name?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 21 18:42 BST (UK) »
What was her married surname too? From what you said, she must died about 1995? We should be able to confirm hopefully her birth date from her death registration index entry.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk