Author Topic: DNA Ancestry question  (Read 2087 times)

Offline mike6265

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Ancestry question
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I have been doing family history for Nealy 40 years and a couple of years ago had an ancestry DNA test done.
I had a connection 53cM across 4 segments and on contacting this person it proved the system worked!
It was to a cousin sharing gg grandparents on my mother's side (family lost contact about 120 years ago) but on contacting this person we both had the same "carte de visite" of our gg grandparents and similar old paperwork. So the DNA worked OK.
On my father's side I have a connection 47cM across 3 segments to the same generation gg grandfather (MR X) but a different "wife", so we have the true connection to his parents ggg grandparents.
My question is this - MR X had two "partners". Is there a way of finding who is descended from MR X + Lady A and MR X + Lady B. Obviously I have the shared matches from above and others in this line but still working out how to approach the problem.
Hope this is clear!!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Ancestry question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 21 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I have been doing family history for Nealy 40 years and a couple of years ago had an ancestry DNA test done.
I had a connection 53cM across 4 segments and on contacting this person it proved the system worked!
It was to a cousin sharing gg grandparents on my mother's side (family lost contact about 120 years ago) but on contacting this person we both had the same "carte de visite" of our gg grandparents and similar old paperwork. So the DNA worked OK.
On my father's side I have a connection 47cM across 3 segments to the same generation gg grandfather (MR X) but a different "wife", so we have the true connection to his parents ggg grandparents.
My question is this - MR X had two "partners". Is there a way of finding who is descended from MR X + Lady A and MR X + Lady B. Obviously I have the shared matches from above and others in this line but still working out how to approach the problem.
Hope this is clear!!

If I understand correctly your common ancestors are your ggg grandparents.
Have you found two marriages for Mr X or could there be two brothers X?
In either case the key will be through the women concerned whether they were married to or in a relationship with Mr X or whether there were two Mr Xs, have you checked for brothers?
In such instances you can work down from that generation forward and at the same time work backwards from you and your cousin loking for times where pregnancies coincide, i.e. if two children are born close together it is likely they have different mothers.
DNA matches of the different lines should also become clear if it is available.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
Agree totally with guy
Trace both women back afew generations and see ifyou.have any matches with their grandparents surnames or localities these can be tiny matches but it will confirm
Other possibilities are to trace all the descendants of both women and ask someone frm rach.line to take dna test

Have you used the shared matches ofshared matches function

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline mike6265

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks so far but I need to clarify.
The DNA connection is with ggg grandparents Mr Y and Mrs Z - their son was MR X.
MR X lived with two ladies Lady A and Lady B. These ladies had several children - father's name blank.
From paper research I am descended from MR X and Lady B.
The DNA connection to me (also from paper research) is descended from MR X and Lady A.

I am trying to work out how to decide which of the several other shared DNA matches are descended from which lady (these shared matches do not have useable family trees) As there is a DNA connection it will be from MR X but is there a way of deciding if Lady A or Lady B is also involved?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
As mentioned you will have to construct trees from each mother listing all their children and children's children down to the present day.
If either of the women married include children of the marriage(s) as well, any children you cannot place with a mother add to a separate list.
If your matches do not have trees then ask if you can construct trees for those matches many people are happy to allow others to construct a family tree for them.
It really only depends on how much time, effort and money you wish to invest in the search.
Only half of the DNA will be from Mr X the other half will be from either women.
Keep in mind neither you or your connection will have all Mr X's or one of his partner's DNA but as you progress patterns will begin to indicate the various lines.
You may even be lucky and find a match later on who can confirm other stages between you or your connection and Mr X's partners.
There is no magic bullet but as your DNA database and your family trees build up more accurate assumptions will be able to be developed.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Agree totally with guy
Trace both women back afew generations and see ifyou.have any matches with their grandparents surnames or localities these can be tiny matches but it will confirm
Other possibilities are to trace all the descendants of both women and ask someone frm rach.line to take dna test

Have you used the shared matches ofshared matches function

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 04:57 BST (UK) »
If I understand what you are looking for is the shared matches on your paternal side and distinguishing them based on the maternal side. I assume you have created a group from the shared match of your first connection. You should be able to distinguish the different maternal lines as the cm match on one line will be roughly half the other line for the same generation of match. I assume you descend from Mr. X and one of the women, those matches will be roughly double the comparible match by generation from the other maternal line not connected to you.

Offline mike6265

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. I am begining to realise I need the team that worked on the remains of Richard III. Well not really as that was using his bones, but you know what I mean.
I think one of the main bits of extra information needed is the number of generations involved. The first lady I established a connection was 53cM and some time later she got her mother to do a test and this produced 91cM. So as pointed out roughly half moving down a generation.
My problems with the distant connection is not able to check how many generations involved. One with 6 generations back (my way of counting - me being number 1) gave 47cM and the generation down (7) gave only 12cM. This make me wonder abut the accuracy?

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 April 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
Turi KING the leader of king Richard DNA team.is now doing a long lost family type programs
I think the people on here can help you anyway
 yes it does help to know i which generation   the matches are from. You will need to trace their treesback up to a common ancestor
The further away the  descendants the less consistent the DNA quantities the 47 cm s child having only.12 cm.does not surprise.me at all

What you are looking for are matches to descendants of both ladies who will both match you because you are connected thru their husband

Of  course those with both parents will be a stronger matchfor example half siblings Would show up at same level as a cousin match because kone set of grandparents in common
As you go down a generation the differences get wider half cousins will show at probable second cousin level + so on 
Good luck