Author Topic: Webb Family Research in/near Banbury  (Read 1759 times)

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Webb Family Research in/near Banbury
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find the origins of Samuel Webb, who at the time of his marriage in Derbyshire in 1805 was a boat builder from Banbury. If his reported age was correct on both the 1841 census and his death certificate, he was born between June 1780 and April 1781. Reviewing all of the transcribed records on Ancestry, Familysearch and Findmypast, I have found only one Samuel Webb born in this time period who is not accounted for elsewhere. A Samuel Webb, son of Joseph Webb of Wellesbourne, coincidentally not far to the north of Banbury, was baptized December 8, 1780, and is my prime candidate. Samuel's mother died a week after he was baptized, and that is the last record I could find of his parents anywhere, or of Samuel until his marriage. I believe I may have completely exhausted the three sites mentioned above. Does anyone have access to or suggestions for other records in or near Banbury that are not included in those sites that could help place this family in or near Banbury? Directories, other town/church records, or anything else?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
McGreal, McLaughlin in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Webb Family Research in/near Banbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

Does it say where he was baptised? Wellesbourne is in Warwickshire and the Warwick records office may hold some parish records that arent on Ancestry. I need to get there myself for some research, as it isnt that far from me,  but waiting until I can get enough queries to make the trip worthwhile as well as restrictions easing

Cliff
South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Cliff,

I do have the baptism record in Wellesbourne. The challenge is more so confirming a link between the Samuel Webb from Wellesbourne and the Samuel Webb in Banbury. This is the only Samuel Webb that I could find anywhere in England whose birth falls within the range indicated by the 1841 Census and his death records, and coincidentally also happens to be the closest Samuel Webb to Banbury. I have found no further record of this Samuel Webb in Warwickshire, indicating he likely left the county at some point. While dates and proximity strongly suggest I have the correct person here, I have nothing that definitively makes the connection.

If you were to find anything in Warwick that indicates this Samuel Webb may have moved to Banbury I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.

Jon
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 21 22:08 BST (UK) »
Tooleys Boatyard in Banbury have been there since 1778 so maybe that is why he is down as from Banbury as he was a Boatbuilder
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 June 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you, sandiep.

I contacted Tooley's to see if any employee records from that era still exist.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 June 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
you could try South Warwickshire family history  Samuel was born in St Peters and they have a contact page they will give you any details maybe  its page 14 where his name is

https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/cofe-records/parish-baptism-records/baptism-indices-parishes-s-z/wasperton-st-john-baps-2/
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk