Author Topic: How do I find out where an ancestor is buried?  (Read 627 times)

Offline mkcoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I find out where an ancestor is buried?
« on: Thursday 15 April 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
How do I find out where an ancestors are buried?

My great grandparents both passed in Lanarkshire, him in 1895 and her in 1925. I have located both of their death records but I don't know how to find out where they are buried. I've searched the Find A Grave site and searched Scotland's People records.

He was Catholic (I haven't confirmed if she was, but I'm assuming). I searched Catholic records but didn't find anything.

How do I find out?

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out where an ancestor is buried?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Maybe a newspaper obituary.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 21 23:56 BST (UK) »
I usually refer to the GENUKI website for initial basic information  It used to be quite a simple task to find relevant information, with church and cemetery names plus dates opened. Currently there is a list of churches in Glasgow, which includes about a score of Roman Catholic ones. 

Here's the link to the page.  Scroll down to the bottom for the paragraph listing the Catholic churches.   

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/LKS/Glasgow/GlasgowChurchHistories

If you give some information on the names/dates of your ancestors you might be lucky and find that a rootschatter has some helpful specific information

Best wishes,Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline searchingforanswers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 21 06:34 BST (UK) »
How do I find out where an ancestors are buried?

My great grandparents both passed in Lanarkshire, him in 1895 and her in 1925. I have located both of their death records but I don't know how to find out where they are buried. I've searched the Find A Grave site and searched Scotland's People records.

He was Catholic (I haven't confirmed if she was, but I'm assuming). I searched Catholic records but didn't find anything.

How do I find out?

Try https://www.deceasedonline.com/ :)

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 June 21 08:45 BST (UK) »
I have found several by looking up the death intimation in the British Newspaper Archive, which gave me the cemetery, then I contacted the Edinburgh council and payed for a search (up to four graves) and they emailed me the lair numbers and a map.

I had the lair number for my OHs aunt who is buried in Rosemarie, I called Highland council and they told me for free who else was in the grave.