Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 15th April  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 15th April
« on: Friday 16 April 21 08:37 BST (UK) »
Looks like I'm first again, apologies if I cross with anyone.

A day that was pretty much the same as most of the others. Lovely to have brilliant sunshine again after a cold night. It was very quiet when I went for my walk, only one dog walker on the field and no-one in the woods. I did see a cat down the narrow bit which was rather unusual but no humans at all. Was pleased to see that the bottles and cans had gone from the hollow, unfortunately there was some broken glass in the bottom but I suppose you can't have everything. No doubt the culprits will be back at the weekend for a repeat performance.

After lunch I did some gardening, found plenty to do, I think I just couldn't find the motivation the other day. Alternated with sitting in the sun on the patio, it got quite hot later in the afternoon, lovely. A police helicopter flew over towards the sea, followed by a second one about ten minutes later. Nothing in the local press about it but they're always last with everything. No doubt someone misbehaving.

Watched the Sewing Bee, it wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting although some parts of it were like watching a Carry On film.

Art class on Friday. In the morning. Oh well, it's a demo so no participation required.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 15th April
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 21 08:55 BST (UK) »
I nearly beat you to it Roobarb :D It wasn't showing when I started writing.  Enjoy the art demo.

Another bright morning, but cold winds blowing in straight off the sea while we tramped along the prom, before there were lots of other people around.
After lunch I enjoyed a Morris practise with 2 musicians and 3 other dancers, and a distanced cuppa afterwards. The garden is quite sheltered and we were lucky with sunshine and birdsong, though it is not the same as being with the whole group. We have earmarked a large car park where we hope all can get together next month.
Had a chat with the elderly stroke survivor who was extremely grateful I made contact with her leisure centre, and they phoned her to make a swim booking.  She had been unable to use the computerised system and was somewhat desperate.
I do find it annoying that unless you are happy with computers, AND you have a mobile phone, it is impossible to register on some web pages.
I can't even recall what was on the TV, so it can't have been very good.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Good news yesterday!
At our Press Briefing, the Chief Minister announced that all restrictions are to be lifted on Monday - except border restrictions.

So, all shops open; bars and pubs open; close contact businesses open (at last I can get a haircut!).

Ever since my spell of Covid, I have been unsteady on my feet - almost certainly a combination of Covid after effects and my diabetes.
So I have been driving to shops for the last month.
Yesterday I walked down the hill, did my shopping and walked up the hill again ;D

Sun was out yesterday, so myself and neighbour from top flat spent the day outside, sunbathing!
Started going a little pink by 3pm, so T-shirt was put on again.

Temperature overnight was only 1C, but expected to be a warm sunny day again today.

Can't wait for:
1. haircut
2. Proper coffee
3. Library to re-open - I'm running out of books to read!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Glad you have been steadier on your feet, and able to get out living the dream.
Our libraries are open. :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hello KG

I am sorry to hear. You are definitely not alone with post-infection problems.

Hoping you get back to your usual self soon and can enjoy the improving weather, take care, Mark

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
Phew!and Phew again!
My iPad ,in the words of an Australian Aborigine, went B—-er up!
Son came with some shopping and we have just been outside in the cool sunshine whilst he sorted it out.
Don’t ask me how but my emails were coming back to me!
I thought,I will never be able to read the diaries again!
Phew!
And some more good news ,my treasures are all safe ,in a big box with other stuff on the topmost shelf ,I don’t remember doing that  ::)

Well many of the new shoots on my roses have succumbed to frost, hope it is only that and that there is time for them to recover.

I must get the flag out and have it half mast for Prince Philip’s funeral.
Out of the bedroom window that is.

No idea what to prepare for tea, plenty in so no worry really.

Not a lot happening ,but in some parts of the world that would be a blessing .
So cheerio folks .Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Getting together with your dancing group must be lovely MH, hope it's not too long before you can all get together. I was just looking at some photos I took in Exeter in 2013, I was sitting outside a pub along the quayside when a group of Morris dancing ladies arrived with musicians and did some dancing, it was lovely to see. Ever get over that way with your group?  ;)
I agree that it's not right that people should not be able to make bookings just because they don't use the technology.

Well done on your shopping trip KG and good news about the lifting of restrictions. Re the sunbathing, there's a clever invention called sun cream.  ;) ;D

Pleased to hear you found your treasures Viktoria, I expect you put them there when you were tidying up.  :) Hope the roses recover okay.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
So many entries... coming in late for the days diary...

Roobarb- good to hear that all the detritus from the revellers has gone... let’s hope they don’t come back.. hope you enjoyed being out in the sunshine...

MH - how lovely to get together with your fellow dancers and musicians... so good for the spirit.. hope you’ll all be able to get together soon. Good you’ve been able to help your friend get the swimming therapy she needs..

KG - very pleased to hear that you’re now able to get out and about ... sorry to hear that you’d been suffering the effects of covid... sunshine is such a tonic too..

Viktoria - I know just what you mean about the panic of tablets not working when we’ve all relied on these things over this past year for our much needed communications...
Relived to hear you’ve found you box of treasures too...putting things in ‘safe places’ relies on remembering where that is!

My day...
Well yahoo certainly did their job and all my missing emails had returned! Phew!
Went out shopping early and was delighted that it was very quiet and I was home again after four stops in under an hour and half...
The house then got a good vacuum and dust...
After lunch my daughter faced timed so we could discuss the curtain fabric she was considering buying for the boys bedroom... black and white zebra print... might be needing sunglasses when I make them 😂😂. The fabric comes from Mali and there wasn’t enough so the person who’d brought it round said she could get more in a months time... old curtains going back up for now...
OH returned from golf quite fed up as had a poor game and was tired... I left him to rest and recover!
Had a good read in the conservatory where it was warm... sun was out and felt lovely but once in went behind the clouds very chilly...
Dinner was Barnsley chops with new pots and green veg...
Nothing worth watching on tv... don’t remember what but retired early to read.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 21 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, son and d in law sorted my iPad out ,took ages.
Outside in the garden, it seemed impolite to go inside and they outside in the cold.I needed a hot Bovril when I did get back inside ,just me ,they needed to get back home.

The box was labelled but was turned the wrong way round and right at the top. ::) ::) ::),but I did not remember I had put the treasures in there !
Sentimentality is very painful sometimes.

How nice to go dancing, when things get a bit more normal I might go to the Ballroom  Dance classes at our  Civic  Hall.
My OH ‘s parents taught Ballroom Dancing at the Church club.
He was a lovely dancer ,never lost it and I loved dancing with him .
Need a friend though, as partner.
It is good the old dances are surviving ,in Bacup, not a million miles from here there is a group “The Britannia  Coconutters “
Britannia is an area of Bacup.
Real Morris dancers wearing the black make up , because Morris was centuries ago Moorish .
Wearing clogs and hats decorated with flowers.

Glad the rubbish has gone , can’t believe the behaviour of some people can you?
.Bins just by seats,in arm’s reach yet litter  on the ground all round the
 bench !
Does anyone else have aching hips and legs after their second Pfeizer vaccination? Not sure what it is,the only other thing is going up and down the
step ladders ,although it started before starting on the box rooms.

Look after yourselves everyone and I can sleep tonight .
No plans for tomorrow, but will watch Prince Philip’s funeral .
Hope it all goes to plan and I will be thinking of Her Majesty ,such a long marriage and we were not aware of all he did.
What a shame.
Those amongst us with long marriages will understand some of what she is feeling ,having been married for over three times the age you were when you married almost .

I was married for 58 years and was 19 when I did marry.
It flew by ,where did the years go?
It was supposed not to last,me being so daft, but he made it easy.

Cheerio and look after yourselves .
To think I might not have RootsChat and the diaries —- does not bear thinking about!
I am glad I had my son!
Viktoria.