Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople Image paid problem  (Read 1350 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
ScotlandsPeople Image paid problem
« on: Friday 16 April 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
I was researching OPR marriages just now, in the 1700s; in the list of results there were 7 that said image paid but not by me they weren`t!! Some of the names were completely off my radar!!

These images do not appear in my saved images so is this just a technical fault. I was going to email SP with the list but it looks as if you can`t attach a file to their message.

Not sure what, if anything, to do.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople Image paid problem
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
I would think it is a technical fault. They have been doing a fair bit of updates recently so maybe there has been a glitch somewhere along the line.

Very honest of you to try to email them but as you say you cannot attach a file. Perhaps you could just list the Parish etc. if you want  but I am sure they will soon rectify this.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
If you repeat the search, do they come up again?

If so, you could do a screen grab and also send a message to them explaining the problem (as you have here) and the search criteria and say that you have a screen shot, if they'd like to see it.

You will probably get an e-mail reply and you can then send the screen grab if they ask for it.

If you don't get it coming up again, it was probably a transient glitch.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:59 BST (UK) »
I have had the same issue with OPR births recently, and was wondering the same thing until the penny dropped. A page from the OPRs usually has multiple names recorded on it, and when you order the page to look at the person you are interested in, you don't just get the entry for the person you are interested in, you get the whole page with all the entries. The names that you haven't paid for will be the names of all the other people recorded on the same page that contains the name of the person you did pay for, if that makes sense.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
I was researching OPR marriages just now, in the 1700s; in the list of results there were 7 that said image paid but not by me they weren`t!! Some of the names were completely off my radar!!

These images do not appear in my saved images so is this just a technical fault. I was going to email SP with the list but it looks as if you can`t attach a file to their message.

Not sure what, if anything, to do.
If you have viewed one entry on a page, then all the others on the same page will show up as viewed.

You do not need to do anything.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course.  I missed reading  OPR

:-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
Me too Gadget  :-X

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
It's the same for census records as well. I had the 1891 census record for my 2x great grandfather and his family, and when I went looking for his married sister sometime later, I found to my surprise that I'd already paid to view her and her family. It turned out they were living next door to him and his family, and both families appeared on the same enumeration sheet, so by purchasing one I had inadvertently purchased both.

Edited to add that it is also the same for statutory registrations, although it's a little less apparent because the number of names on a page is fewer. Just checked one of the other names on the page of my grandfather's birth registration, and that name also shows up as being paid for.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 April 21 03:15 BST (UK) »
I think this came about after the last takeover & a welcomed change!

Prior to this & the free indexes, I paid for more than 1 record on the same page a few times.

When I discovered it, I began an excel sheet with all the previous searched/saved images which was very time consuming but I no longer need to log them & it's saved me a few £s I'm sure.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"