Author Topic: Killed in Italy in 1944 but no known grave or memorial  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Yorklad47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Killed in Italy in 1944 but no known grave or memorial
« on: Friday 16 April 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions that would help me find out what happened to my uncle? His name was Herbert James Davies and he was killed in Italy in 1944. His younger brother, Ron, (now deceased) also served in Italy and this is what he told me. He and Herbert met in July 1944 near Salerno and had a night out in Naples on a pass. Ron was with Airborne Division and according to Ron, Herbert was serving with the REME, driving a tank transporter that was collecting crippled tanks and taking them for repair. Ron told me that Herbert was killed three weeks after they met and that he thought Herbert was buried "somewhere south of Rome on the east side". I have contacted CWGC and they have no record of either a grave or a name on a CWGC memorial. His name is on the war memorial of Stocksbridge in his home town of Stocksbridge in South Yorkshire because his parents notified the local authority. His birthdate was 23.02.1918 but I do not have his army service number. . I contacted he REME Museum to see if they could help but was told that they have a huge backlog of enquiries because staff have been furloughed during the pandemic. He seems to have just vanished. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Killed in Italy in 1944 but no known grave or memorial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Where was he born & when was Ron born?

What were their parents names and mothers maiden name.

Was he definitely Herbert & not Hubert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Carole, I'm guessing this is the brothers. Stocksbridge is in the Wortley district.

1918 Q2: Herbert James Davies (mmn: Tong); Wortley; 09C; 598
1921 Q1: Ronald Davies (mmn: Tong); Wortley; 09C; 690
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
A couple of possible newspaper references to the brothers. If the second is correct I wonder if Herbert may have also got into the same grammar school.

Yorklad, it may be worth contacting the school to see if they have any record of Herbert.

Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express
09 Nov 1935
Companions In Misfortune
- within space of twenty-four hours two Stocksbridge friends
- had visited Sheffield Royal Infirmary this weekend
- for treatment of fractured arms
- Jack Copley, 15, son of Mr and Mrs Percy Copley,
- of 65 Melbourne Road,
- slipped from a plank while working for Messrs Ainley and Newton
- on the Half Hall Estate.
- the following morning, his chum,
- Herbert Davies, aged 17,
- son of Mr and Mrs T Davies,
- of Ridal Avenue,
- broke his right forearm when cranking a lorry
- for the Stocksbridge Co-operative Society

South Yorkshire Times and Mexborough & Swinton Times
01 Jul 1932
County Minor Scholarships
Local Successes
Penistone Grammar School (Boys)
Stocksbridge: Ronald Davies
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express
09 Nov 1935
Companions In Misfortune

This could be wrong. There's a marriage announcement in 1936 of a marriage between a Mr Davies and Miss Kilner, and Mr Davies is named as the third son of Mr and Mrs T Davies, of Ridal Avenue, Stocksbridge. Two brothers acted as best man and groomsman.

However, there are possible birth records for these 3 brothers with mmn of Tong. But as Yorklad hasn't mentioned any other brothers, other than Ronald, I have my doubts.

Offline Yorklad47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the work. To answer some of the questions. His name was Herbert not Hubert. He was one of seven brothers and one sister. His parents were Thomas William and Eliza Jane Davies. Mother's maiden name was Tong. The brothers were Richard Thomas, George James, Albert Edward, Arthur, Ernest William (my father), Herbert James and Ronald. His sister's name was Louisa Jane.
The reference to a Davies marrying a woman called Kilner was Albert Edward. I have a lot of information about the family the missing bit is what happened to Herbert James Davies. Same old story - by the time I was interested to know, the people who might have thrown some light were sadly no longer with us.

Offline Yorklad47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
Herbert was born in Ewden Valley, Bolsterstone where his father was working as a navvy on the building of dams. Shortly after he was born they moved to Stocksbridge in the next valley.

Offline Yorklad47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
Ronald Davies was born 23 December 1920. Registered in first quarter 1921 - Wortley 9c 696.
Herbert James Davies was born 23 February 1918. Registered in second quarter 1918 - Wortley 9c 598.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 April 21 01:07 BST (UK) »
I can only see 2 births in Wortley RD
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)