Author Topic: Unkles families  (Read 2283 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unkles families
« on: Saturday 17 April 21 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have an interest in the Unkles families of Sligo, though I am only related by the marriage of my gt grandaunt Catherine Clarke who married Robert Unkles of Toberawnaun in 1878. As far as I know their only son John, though married in 1927, did not have any family.

Among my gt uncles photos are some taken in the late 1920s of Isabella Harte and family. Isabella married Thomas Harte in 1920 and was the daughter of Robert Unkles of Masreagh. Robert's 1879 marriage record (spouse Mary Shannon) shows his father was Young Unkles. Robert died 1917 but his wife Mary is I assume the "Mrs Uncles" in some of the photos. Also in the photos is a Molly Unkles who may have been a sister of Isabella. This is what I am trying to work out.

So I would like to know if anyone is researching this family, but I also would be interested in comparing notes with anyone researching any Unkles of Sligo.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Unkles families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 03:25 BST (UK) »
To update on possible Molly Unkles candidates. Maria Unkles daughter of Robert Unkles of Masreagh, died in 1919, so is not the Molly Unkles in the photos with Isabella Unkles and her children born after 1920.

I also have a portrait photo of Molly signed by her in 1940. If the attachment works that photo is on the right ans Molly is also shown in the middle with Bob Livingston and dog Gretchen. Photo taken in Maine

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 03:51 BST (UK) »
Given that I have just discovered that Maria Unkles died in 1919, I am now considering the various Mary Elizabeth Unkles as Molly

Not with the Masreagh family in 1901 was daughter Mary Elizabeth born 11 Aug 1887. So may have died before 1901.

Another  was Mary Elizabeth of Gerrib Beg, born Co May c1887, daughter of Stewart Unkles. (Stewart Unkles was a brother of Robert Unkles who married Catherine Clarke).

Another  was Mary Elizabeth was born 4 Apr 1890 at Dunmoran, dau of William Unkles and Mary Scott.  This Mary was a cousin of Isabella as their grandfather was also Young Unkles of Dunmoran.

Cheers

Linda

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
church records

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

Roberts and Catherine marriage under surname UNCLES also birth of John 1879

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 April 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
I also have a portrait photo of Molly signed by her in 1940. If the attachment works that photo is on the right ans Molly is also shown in the middle with Bob Livingston and dog Gretchen. Photo taken in Maine
Have you tried searching for her in U.S. records yet? if photo dated 1940 perhaps start with 1940 and 1930 census.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 01:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rathmore

It is good to be reminded to check Uncles as well as Unkles. Irishgenealogy does not seem to be consistent with showing results of both versions of the spelling when you search one. Or at least I have had to search Uncles separately on a couple of occasions when Unkles did not bring up the result I knew should be there.

Hi Aghadowey,

Good point. I usually do my searches from within my Ancestry tree, so up to now I did not have any potential Molly Unkles to use to search the US census. But now I have the Mary Elizabeth daughter of Stewart Unkles. I have contacted a tree owner who had her in their tree, but could not confirm if she was Molly. This Mary Elizabeth died in Wales, I think in the 60s. But anyway I can use her.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
RE Mary E Uncles in the USA in 1940, there was only one, born Indiana  wife of a John Uncles also born Indiana.

But using Mary Elizabeth daughter of Stewart does actually narrow down my choices again, as that Mary died 1935 in Cardiff according to to other trees in Ancestry.

So I think I am left with the Dunmoran Unkles family. The Mary Elizabeth in that family was a cousin of Isabella Harte so she seems to be the best fit. Unless the Mary Elizabeth in Isabella's family was still alive in 1901 but living elsewhere. However if so she is not on the 1901 census.

The closest is a Mary Ellen Unkles aged 25 in 1911, born Sligo, living in Clones Monaghan. I haven't checked her out as yet.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
Molly can also be a nickname for Margaret- any of those in the family to investigate?

If 'Molly' was born in the U.K./Ireland and was visiting relatives in Maine in 1940s or so then she should appear in a passenger manifest going to U.S., or perhaps via Canada.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 09:33 BST (UK) »
Yes there was a Margaret in the Masreagh family. Margaret Anne Unkles married a James Walker in 1905 and another Margaret Uncles was a witness. This would not be the Margaret Unkles of Carrigans, Sligo (dau of Thomas) who married Charles Walker in 1903. Possibly is the cousin Margaret Unkles, dau of William, born Dunmoran in 1876.

It is useful to discover that Masreagh Margaret married James Walker as there is a Walker family photo on the same page and looks to be from about the same date as the Hartes and Masreagh Unkles  photos. The Walker mother looks to be in her 40s or older and the father in his 60s maybe. I had not yet found a family link for the Walker family. I am so grateful to gt Uncle Bob Livingston for labelling his photos!

By the way the disappearance of May Elizabeth from the Masreagh Unkles family is explained by the appearance of a Lizzie Kate Unkles of the right age in the 1901 census. They were not twins as there is only one birth registration. Lizzie died 1902 of typhoid.