Author Topic: Unkles families  (Read 2204 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unkles families
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 April 21 01:05 BST (UK) »
Just in case someone from one of these Unkles families sees these posts one day I will also upload the page with the Harte and Walker families.

The Walker family is middle left. Bob Livingston is between Isabella Harte and Molly Unkles in the second of the lower row of photos, to the right of the Skreen church yard. Bob is also top right with the Harte family.

Bob's immigration record of 1928 to the USA said he was living in Sligo before he left Ireland. So I expect these photos were taken in the year/s before 1928. The Livingstons were living Londonderry by 1914 but I do not know exactly when Bob left to work in Sligo. My guess is after 1924.

Image too large and I don't have skills to rescale so I have taken a screen shot. Hope it works
Cheers

Now it is saying 500Kb is too large so I give up.
Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 April 21 03:44 BST (UK) »
One last attempt. I sent the last scanned photo as an email, then pulled it back to the album collection of images and now it should be small enough. ?3rd time lucky

Offline Helenjohnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 22 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

My father had a cousin called Mollie Unkles who lived in Dromard Co Sligo. Her married name was Dorran and she died recently ( 1-2 years ago)
Her mother was, I think, a Johnston though I'm unsure whether she was Margaret or Sarah (Sally).
Not sure if this is who you were looking for,
Best Wishes,
Helen Johnston

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 22 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

My father had a cousin called Mollie Unkles who lived in Dromard Co Sligo. Her married name was Dorran and she died recently ( 1-2 years ago)
Her mother was, I think, a Johnston though I'm unsure whether she was Margaret or Sarah (Sally).
Not sure if this is who you were looking for,
Best Wishes,
Helen Johnston

According to the Sligo Champion Jan 14 2020 this Mollie was Mary Elizabeth Dorran nee Unkles.

There was a marriage of a Margaret Jane Johnston and John Oswald Unkles in 1921
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1921/09220/5335547.pdf

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 22 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Helen and Sinan

John Oswald Unkles (b1898)  was a younger  brother of Isabella Unkles who married Thomas Harte. So his daughters would not be the right generation but one could have been named after the Molly whose photo I have.

I have just collected some of his family from a Sherlock tree as his daughter Patricia Margaret Unkles born 1929 married a James Sherlock in 1953. She died 2014 so is not Mary Elizabeth.

As John Oswald Unkles married in 1921 his children were mostly born after 1922 and so the Sherlock trees may not have all the children and Mary Elizabeth could be one. How old she was she when she died? At the moment the Sherlock trees only have 2 siblings for Patricia, Avery b 1923 and Robert b 1925.

Offline Helenjohnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 22 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply,

Actually I know of some of the Sherlock family in Sligo who are friends of my aunt and my uncle also married a Harte so I may be able to work out some of the connections back when I am next in Sligo. Several of these families intermarried in successive generations.

Kind Regards,
Helen Johnston

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 August 22 05:09 BST (UK) »
Actually I am wondering if in fact there are two Molly Unkles in the photos. The one in the pre 1928 photos with Isabella Harte and Bob Livingston would be the one who was the same generation as Bob (b1891).

However the Molly Unkles who was in the USA in the 1940s could possibly be the next generation.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 August 22 05:30 BST (UK) »
There was a Mary Elizabeth Unkles born 1922 in Sligo  (Dromore West) but that record is still outside the viewable online range. As is the marriage of Mary Elizabeth Uncles to Thomas Henry Dorran in 1947.

So this Molly could be the same Molly as the 1940 photos, and also the cousin of Helen's father.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 August 22 11:06 BST (UK) »
John Oswald Unkles  obit in 1960 names four children, those you have already named and Molly. The son appears to be married by than and the named daughter in law appears (typo in newspaper I think, an n where there should be a u) to be the same person named as sister in law to Mollie Dorran in 2020.
The son in laws also match the names you have mentioned, including the tree you are looking at.

I have to be careful not to name living people.