Author Topic: John Wilson (1785-1873) and Jane Lennon (1792-1843) (Ballylaggan)  (Read 392 times)

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wilson (1785-1873) and Jane Lennon (1792-1843) (Ballylaggan)
« on: Saturday 17 April 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
In John's Will, he makes bequests to the children of his daughters:  Agnes, Jane and Margaret. I think these daughters may have married before the Civil Registration began in 1845, this makes it very difficult to ascertain who they married. As twins seem to be prevalent within this family circle for generations, it is possible that his daughters or grandchildren had twins, though that's just a guess on my part.

Does anyone know who John's daughters married or anything about their descendants, as I'd much appreciate any help.

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilson (1785-1873) and Jane Lennon (1792-1843) (Ballylaggan)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Allister,

Twins can be classified in to two varieties:

1) IDENTICAL - such caused by an "accident" of nature.

The development process (mitosis) hiccups at a very early stage, producing two embryos from one egg.
Each contains an identical set of genes, though such may then develop (slightly) differently.

There is NO tendency for this to happen down family lines.
So, as such, it is NOT a genealogical trait.

2) NON-IDENTICAL - such caused by the release of multiple eggs immediately prior to the time of fertilisation.

This can result in multiple quite-different embryos.
Such IS a genealogical trend, carried down the female line (obviously).
[Some women are very prone to it, and pass such down to their female offspring.]

N.B. Female children are born with their full (finite) life's-complement of eggs (for "their" creation of the next generation) already aboard.

Such eggs are "created" while the (yet to be born) "future mother" is still within the womb of her own mother (aka "future granny").

There have been studies conducted on such, particularly in the context of the Irish Famine.
[How did Granny's experience of deprivation during such, affect the future bodies/lives/life-expectancy of her grandchildren.  Interesting /scary stuff!]

----------------

Identical siblings are much less common than non-identical ones.

The upshot for your research is therefore that, if you reckon there were many "twins" within your family's descent chain, they are much more likely to have been non-identical ones.

As such, they will follow the female lines of descent.
Such will thus be more likely to NOT having WILSON as their surname.
[Unless there was an element of cousins marrying ...]

Capt Jock  (an accident of nature, yet still "beloved of God"!)
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
^ Interesting note about the twins, Capt. Jock – I’ll try to remember the bit about it passing down the female line.

Allister,

I thought the daughter Agnes might be the one who married Thomas Girvin in 1847:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1847/09331/5378741.pdf

Her father is listed as John Wilson, but there were probably two or three John Wilsons of Ballylagan at that time.

By the way, I have John Wilson (c1785-1873) down as “Jack of the Mountain” – is this a nickname you have come across?

Gilby

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gilby,  I will investigate this. I think John's daughter, Jane or Margaret may have been married to a James Wilson, from a different line. All very confusing, isn't it.