Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 17th April  (Read 1380 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 17th April
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
It seems everyone enjoyed some sunshine and had a reflective kind of a day.
Historical evidence shows it is probable that Covid will continue to roll around the globe making lockdowns necessary in places for sometime, but that doesn't make it less worrying. However it is reassuring to note the vaccine programme is progressing in Canada, though the news from Oz is less good. And reading about India and Brazil is truly shocking.

Hope the motor bike issue can be controlled Caroline.... I suppose the village does have "please drive carefully" notices up?

We had blue skies and sunshine here too, and I made an early bread raid on town, but by 8:30 at Lidl it was noticeably busier than usual at that time.
3 cruise ships at anchor.
Marched home with the shopping and found that the flower beds in the little park, which had been turfed over a few years ago, have been re-instated, and vastly larger than before. Which should become very lovely, but does beg the question: why ever in the first place?
Walked over to the lakes, that being much quieter than the sea front areas which were busy with holiday makers as all the caravan parks are full.  Discovered there was an event being held at the velodrome so the leisure centre car park was packed with vans and camper vans.
It is true that covid cases are falling but with all this mingling I wonder for how long that will be so?

H washed his car while I watched the funeral.  As Roobarb says, the band music played in the quadrangle was very beautiful, and I was particularly struck by the second piece, which I think was "Supreme Sacrifice" and is possibly better known in the Southern hemisphere?
I agree poor HMQ did look so little and solitary, it made be very sad for her, and I felt sorrow emanating from the Princess Royal too.
A canny move to have everyone in morning suits, and it was good to see Wills, Harry and Kate in conversation after the service.
Watched some of the snooker afterwards.... a live audience in the crucible, though limited numbers.
Ruskie: I didn't like "The Missing" at all.... so menacing throughout, it made my blood pressure soar!

O Valiant Hearts to the tune Supreme Sacrifice is one of the standard hymns for ANZAC Day services I believe.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
Not good at all Caroline, and I suppose nothing will alter until there is a serious accident.  :'(

Sadly over the years there have been many fatalities... last summer after one within an hour of the road reopening they were back out there screaming up and down.... words fail to describe what their mentalities are.. 😤😤😳😳

Caroline

:'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff....
O Valiant Hearts to the tune Supreme Sacrifice is one of the standard hymns for ANZAC Day services I believe.....
I reckon you are correct, which is why I suggested the tune is possibly better known in the Southern Hemisphere.
I really like it a lot, though it has echoes of "Abide With Me".
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:54 BST (UK) »
Not good at all Caroline, and I suppose nothing will alter until there is a serious accident.  :'(

Sadly over the years there have been many fatalities... last summer after one within an hour of the road reopening they were back out there screaming up and down.... words fail to describe what their mentalities are.. 😤😤😳😳

Caroline

I empathise!
As you can imagine the Isle of Man can get overrun with bikes and bikers.
In the main, they behave, but there's always the odd "nutter".

Sadly many of the deaths associated with the TT are actually the fans/followers who THINK they can ride a bike like their heroes, but are found sadly lacking the requisite skills?

Of course, our borders are still closed to all but Manx residents, and no TT in 2020 or 2021.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 April 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
KG - I have great sympathy for you too... I’m sure it’s been so much quieter over the last couple of years although of course it must bring necessary money into the islands coffers...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 April 21 18:12 BST (UK) »
Great news about your vaccination slot Diana (who would have thought we'd be getting excited about such things?!). I hope your case levels soon decrease and lockdown restrictions are eased, it's very worrying that when things are improving in one part of the world they get worse in another.

Annette, I hope your fears about the side effects from the jab don't come to fruition, good luck for tomorrow.

Nice to hear from you again Ruskie. I hope the vaccine supply problems are soon resolved and it'll be roll up your sleeve time! Although thinking about it, you'll probably be sleeveless anyway.  :D

Lovely to have your friend round Caroline, sitting in the sun with a friend must have been good for you both. Hope you managed to get some sleep and no bike noise today.

Sounds like Devon is already jam packed MH, nice to be able to escape somewhere a bit less crowded.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 April 21 21:11 BST (UK) »
I watched Prince Philip’s funeral.
I truly felt The Queen could not have stood a long very formal Stare Funeral.
She seemed shrunken.
I did not like the singing in St,George’s Chapel, apparently Prince Philip commissioned it.
Bad idea  to have the coffin poised at a slope on the  steps.
But we do things really well .

.Finished the two box rooms ,more space now, so easier to get at things and some space to put things away that are usually on show!

Lovely sunny weather,fairly warm in the afternoon but chilly mornings and evenings.
Had Hake for lunch ,with green beans ,new potatoes in lemon butter and roasted tomatoes.

My iPad is in a mess again ,emails I send come to me but not who  they are 
intended for.
Son thought he had sorted it on Friday, he had to some extent but still I get my sent emails back, ,ooooh they are boring !
RootsChat is OK.

Daffodils more or less all over now so pots to move and tulips almost open so they can go out into the borders.
New little buds coming on the Captain Sir Tom rose.
So that is OK.

Well,I am a bit tired , up and down the ladders,etc.
But a good job done .

Off for a bath and bed which will be nice  and  warm  .
A hard crossword to do in this month’s History Magazine.

Thanks for the news  and probably be in touch tomorrow.
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 April 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
Annette, not all of Canada is in a lockdown.  At the moment I believe it is only Ontario that is in a strict one, and mainly due to our largest cities, Toronto and Ottawa.  I live in London, forth in population but now third in cases, not great here.  A lot of it been driven by young people this time.
My son works in the Ottawa area and I am worried about him, as he must continue to work. 
Went to our large municipal park this morning, but to a section we rarely go to, it was lovely, weather was perfect for me, light jacket.  I enjoyed seeing all the dogs, looking happy at being out. 
A pair of geese seem to be nesting in the flower bed along the edge of the school parking lot, just across from our living room window.  The female has settled in the one spot for a few days now and keeps picking at the ground around her.  With the schools closed, they should be safe, although a few teachers and staff will likely be in and out.
Looking forward to getting my shot over and done with tomorrow morning!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 April 21 23:21 BST (UK) »

My iPad is in a mess again ,emails I send come to me but not who  they are 
intended for.
Son thought he had sorted it on Friday, he had to some extent but still I get my sent emails back, ,ooooh they are boring !

;D ;D ;D Viktoria, I can always rely on you to give me a laugh.  ;D ;D

Pleased to hear you got the rooms sorted, no wonder you're tired.

Good luck for tomorrow Diana, whenever your tomorrow is.  :D Hope you don't have any side effects.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales