Author Topic: Air Balloons 1795  (Read 1227 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Air Balloons 1795
« on: Sunday 18 April 21 03:25 BST (UK) »
I down loaded a file from National Archives and inadvertently ended up with a whole batch. So I have been looking through them ‘just in case’.  And came across this one.
I had absolutely no idea Air Balloons had been used in such a manner!

“My Lord

I have to acquaint you this day I arrived at
Portsmouth from Gibraltar in the Air Ballooon
Transport and have as a State Prisoner on board”
etc etc…

It is dated 17 October 1795
Transport Office
Portsmouth

signed
by Chas’ Morgan, Lieut in the Royal Navy and Agent for His Majesty’s Transport Service

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Air Balloons 1795
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 21 04:20 BST (UK) »
Artillery observers also went up in them to spot enemy positions. I doubt the muskets of the day had enough trajectory to reach the balloons,  thank goodness.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 21 06:44 BST (UK) »
"In 1862 two Royal Engineers officers, who had seen balloons being used in the American Civil War, drew the attention of the War Office to the potential use of balloons for observation. These officers demonstrated balloons to the army, but it was only in 1878 that the War Office directed Captain James Templer, an army reservist and experienced balloonist, to set up a small unit of Royal Engineers which became known as the School of Ballooning."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_Ballooning

Seems the school was set up somewhat later than the 1790s

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 21 07:18 BST (UK) »
I’ve been thinking about it. Did they fly up the coast and then over? 
The name “Air Balloon Transport” makes it sound like a regular service.
How often were they blown into the Atlantic?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 21 07:30 BST (UK) »
The first manned hot-air balloon flight took place in 1783 by the Montgolfier brothers.
The first military use of a balloon was in 1794, during the battle of Fleurus, when a balloon was used for observation.
First flight across the English Channel was in 1785.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
In 1784 James Dinwiddie landed a balloon at the location in Bristol still known as Air Balloon Hill or Road. It was the end of a flight from Bath, some 10 miles away.
There is a very interesting account of air ballooning  (Ballooning in the Bristol Area) published by the Fishponds (Bristol) Local History Society which can be found in the this link www.fishponds.org.uk
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
In 1784 James Dinwiddie landed a balloon at the location in Bristol still known as Air Balloon Hill or Road. It was the end of a flight from Bath, some 10 miles away.
There is a very interesting account of air ballooning  (Ballooning in the Bristol Area) published by the Fishponds (Bristol) Local History Society which can be found in the this link www.fishponds.org.uk

According to my copy of "Street Names of Bristol: Their Origins and Meanings" Dinwiddie's balloon was an unmanned hydrogen balloon.

On the same day Dr Parry launched an unmanned gas-filled balloon from Crescent Gardens in Bath. It came to earth just west of Wells.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have said that a balloon launched by James Dinwiddie in Bath, reached the spot now known as Air Ballon Road/Hill in Bristol.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
The wording sounds very much like "Air Balloon" was the name of a transport ship.

Maybe it was named after something recently in the news, thus implying that it was up-to-date ?

If this thinking is right, any records would have been filed with others from the Transport Office. It was probably a civilian ship, leased to the navy, so would not have had "H.M.S." in its name.

The first Channel crossing by balloon was in 1785, but that was over the much narrower Straits of Dover.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.