Author Topic: Emma Dockham [1850-1888]  (Read 408 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma Dockham [1850-1888]
« on: Sunday 18 April 21 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am interested in finding out when Emma Dockham was born please or if there might be any records that I have happened to miss.

Her birth year was abt 1850 Thomaston, Maine.

She married Samuel Salisbury on 20 Apr 1872 in Lowell, Massachusetts. Her father's name is Henry Dockham and her mother's name is Julia S Mellus.

She died on 14 May 1888 in Bedfordshire, England.

I have all her 1850, 60, and 70 US Census records and I have her 1881 UK Census record. I also have her death record.

I don't have a Birth record of any sort so would be highly grateful if anyone could forward me an image of this to add to her collection of records. Or any other record that I might have missed :)
Thank You,
Andrew

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Dockham [1850-1888]
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
When I got back to a certain date for my wife's family in Maine, I had to actually look at microfilm of the town records, which is where vital records were kept, in with everything else.

For example, a quote from the description of the following book: "Intermingled with the records of town meetings are marriage intentions, marriage records, family births, sheep and cattle marks, some warnings out and even deeds for church pews."

This book looks like the editor extracted the VR from the Thomaston town records. You could find a library with this book and see if they will look it up for you, if you ask them nicely.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/vital-records-of-thomaston-maine/oclc/51796915

NE Historic & Genealogical Soc will do it for a fee. A US public library or college library may do it for nothing

A longer description of the book here:
Maine Genealogical Society
https://maineroots.org/product/vital-records-thomaston-maine-2003/

And they might recommend a researcher to look it up, but again for a fee.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. Upon looking at the book it gives the years “ 1837 to 1846”.

Would this include Emma’s Birth Record given she was born in 1850’ish?

Thanks you for telling me about the book! My closest is in another country (Sweden) 😂. I think Emailing might be the best bet.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. Upon looking at the book it gives the years “ 1837 to 1846”.
If you are looking at this page,
https://maineroots.org/product/vital-records-thomaston-maine-2003/
I think that refers to a free book you get if you buy the bigger one. The Thompson Recorder sounds like a newspaper.

--
But then I saw this on that page:
"This book will make a fine companion to the Vital Records of Rockland, Maine and the Vital Records of South Thomaston, Maine, especially so since the records in this book pertain to families which later resided in either Rockland or South Thomaston, following the 1848 separation date."

I don't know what they mean by that, since Thomaston, Maine, still exists. All the records in the book couldn't refer to families that later found themselves in Rockland or South Thomaston, I wouldn't think. But you might be looking for one of those books instead. Use worldcat again to find a copy.

Emailing one of the public or college libraries should work.