Author Topic: 1841 - Northumberland Census - ROWELL **COMPLETE**  (Read 1031 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 - Northumberland Census - ROWELL **COMPLETE**
« on: Monday 19 April 21 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to unravel some rather tangled and confusing family roots. I have a family member who married a William ROWELL in 1841 (marriage confirmed by marriage certificate). I also have a family member who also married a Joseph ROWELL (but listed as Thomas ROWELL) in 1857. The marriage certificate for the 1857 marriage list the groom as Joseph, but the GRO has it as Thomas. However, I digress. The bride in 1857 is the daughter of the bride in 1842. In order to try and unpick the family I would like to locate William Rowell in the 1841 census so I can look at the family group.

I believe he should be in the Wall area of Northumberland in the parish of St John Lee. I believe he was born about 1819. The Rowell family are a 'minor' line (not direct relatives) but they did marry into my direct line via the brides (Isabel(la) in 1842 and Mary Ann Charlton in 1857).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards
Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - Northumberland Census - ROWELL
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 05:19 BST (UK) »
Who does William say is his father on the marriage certificate?

Is William the one who married Isabella CHARLTON in 1842? Is he the one who appears on subsequent censuses born c1819 at Simonburn? If so, a likely baptism at Simonburn on 8 July 1821 to Robert (a mason) and Mary. Does this fit with the info you have?

Possible marriage at Simonburn of Robert ROWELL and Mary HERDMAN on 15 March 1806, and children baptised at Simonburn to Robert (mason) and Mary:
1807  John
1813  Mary Ann
1816  Hannah  (privately)
1816  Jane  (privately)
1821  William

In 1841 this looks like Robert and Mary at Simonburn (with presumably daughter Mary and her children  :-\)
Robert  ROWELL   60  (mason)
Mary                       60
Mary                       25
John                      10
Jane                       4
Hannah                  8 months
HO107/842/21 pg1

I can't see any other ROWELL's at Simonburn in 1841.

There is a William ROWELL (20, lead ore miner) at Allendale in 1841 (with Elizabeth 55, John 25 and Elizabeth 15) though I'm not sure that this is your William as he appears in subsequent censuses with wife Elizabeth and family at Allendale.

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - Northumberland Census - ROWELL
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Maddy,

Indeed his father is named as Robert Rowell on the 1842 marriage to Isabella Charlton.

The details you have provided should give me a good start on unpicking the tangle! (Hopefully).

I am reasonably certain it is the correct household as it is in the right area with the approximate ages and  the correct father and occupation.

Thank you so much.

Best regards
Kevin
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - Northumberland Census - ROWELL **COMPLETE**
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 10:03 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Kevin.  :)

Would still like to find William in the 1841 census, though if he's not in the County it is difficult, I was surprised just how many young men of that name and age there were in 1841!

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - Northumberland Census - ROWELL **COMPLETE**
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 22:42 BST (UK) »
Maddy,

There was, apparently, a huge family secret surrounding this particular leg of my ancestor but trying to find anything is very difficult when I live overseas. It could be that William was in a army maybe?

Best regards
Kevin
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham