Author Topic: Where to from here with DNA results and paper trail  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where to from here with DNA results and paper trail
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 08:32 BST (UK) »
You probably have already looked but have you tried finding her birth under surname Grey if she used that as one of her names?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede.  Yes, I have also looked under the surname Grey but still have not been able to find anything.

Regards Kaybrpm

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Just looking prior to 1901 and there is this one in Linton 1891

Ada Smith age 12 visitor school girl born Maidstone Kent  :-\ 

Maidstone Union Workhouse address 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
Looking for 1881 unrelated entries to family there is an

Ada Green 2 visitor born Maidstone with

Charles Smith 52
Mary Ann Smith 45
Charles Edwd Smith 16

Just in case it leads anywhere or to be ruled out
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Milliepede,

I have looked at both of these.  The Ada Smith in the Maidstone Union Workhouse aged 12 years, is the niece of Maria Harris the Assistant Matron who is listed above Ada's entry.  Ada's parents are William Smith and Eliza (formerly Peters).  I did purchase a birth certificate for this Ada.  Maria Harris is the daughter of Abraham Smith and a brother to William, Ada's father.

The Ada Green living with Charles and Mary Ann Smith is very interesting.  I really thought this was my Ada but extensive research rules Ada Green out. 

I came across an Ada Green in the 1881 Census living with a Charles and Mary Ann Smith, in Maidstone.  She is aged 2 years and listed as a visitor.  In 1891 Ada is still living with Charles and Mary Ann but her name has changed to Smith and she is listed as their daughter.  In 1891 Charles, Mary Ann and Ada have moved to Woolwich, London (WIB Health).  I sent away for a birth certificate for Ada Green and discovered that her mother is Frances Elizabeth Green, formerly Brown and that her father is listed as Alfred Green, Cattle Salesman. 

I also sent away and got a certificate for a Florence Green who was born in 1870 as I thought these two girls might be related.  Florence in 1871 is listed as a Nurse child with a couple and in 1881 is with a different couple as a boarder.  Florence has the same details on her certificate as Ada, mother Frances Elizabeth Green, formerly Brown, father Alfred Green, Cattle Salesman.  The 2 girls Florence and Ada are clearly sisters according to their birth certificates.

Their mother, Frances Green, in 1861 is living with Frederick Jarrett in Weeks Street Maidstone with his wife Mary Ann (aged 44 years).  Frances Green aged 14 is a domestic servant.  Occupation for Frederick is a Tobaconnist.

In 1871 Frederick is still living in Week Street, number 87.  He is a widow and still has Frances Green, the domestic servant living with him.  Occupation continues as a Tobacconist.

1881 and 1891, Frederick continues to live at 87 Week Street.  Frances Green continues to reside with him.  In both census Frederick’s occupation is given as Tobacconist and Frances is listed as his housekeeper.

Frederick died in the April/May/June quarter of 1898, aged 77 years.  The death was registered in Maidstone.  Frederick left most of his estate to Frances Green. 

I continued with research of this Ada and found out that she married and emigrated to Canada.  Her sister Florence also married and emigrated to Canada.   

When I started looking into this Ada I spent a lot of time working things out and even sent away for Wills for Frederick Jarrett and Frances Green who later went on to marry a Mr Crow. 

Regards Kaybron

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Goodness yes you certainly seem to have thoroughly researched everything to no avail  :(

Can I ask when she included the name "Grey" as it must have had some significance to her.

I couldn't find trace of an Albert John Oscar Smith either  :-\

Here's hoping you find a breakthrough soon. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Millipede,

I do not know where the name Grey came into things.  Ada always went by the name Ada Olive Grey Smith and later Ada Olive Grey Hammond.  I do not know the significance of this.  I have looked for marriages of Grey and Smith and have not found anything that is suitable.

With DNA matches Grey does not bring anything up.

Regards Kaybron