Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 18th April  (Read 870 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 18th April
« on: Monday 19 April 21 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hope you are feeling well Diana.

There's good news and bad news.....In the morning we decided to visit the nearby market town of Newton Abbot. Haven't been in ages, but felt it might be quieter than the sea side, and glory be, it was almost deserted. I spotted a lovely Kath Kidson design tray in a charity shop window.  There was only one customer and the assistant so I was able to nip in and out and grab a bargain.  Then walking back to the car we saw a lovely pair of grey wagtails flitting around the river.
But... after lunch at the lakes, we found the Muscovy ducks which had eggs recently, appear to have left them unattended, and they are gone.  Could have been foxes or people, as the nest sight was very close to shore, and I don't think the water is very deep.
Had been looking forward to "Line of Duty" all week, sad individual that I am. Phew... What a cliff hanger!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 18th April
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
A lovely morning trip for you MH but what bad news about the eggs, sounds like human interference. Why are some people so horrible?  >:(

My Sunday:

Tesco delivery arrived half an hour early again, I like this slot. Had ordered some reading glasses after my prescription ones broke, my old ones weren't strong enough and the cheap glasses I keep in my handbag for reading menus etc are not very comfortable to wear for long periods. The new ones were in a pack of two, they're great, I like the style too so will probably get some new prescription ones like these.

Daily walk after lunch, no surprise that there were lots of bottles and cans again, they were all in the hollow so I don't know if they'd been left there or whether someone had tried to tidy up. The latter I think, particularly as there was broken glass on the path in the woods. I felt quite upset seeing it all, it makes me wonder if any of the culprits have a dog at home and how they would feel if their pooch got a cut paw as a result of someone's selfish actions.

Garden again later, mostly doing things rather than relaxing, the sun was in and out. Later on did some hoovering and dusting, still haven't got round to the ironing. Feeling a bit like I'm on a treadmill lately.

Had an email from my art teacher on Saturday with a link to the recording of Friday's class and also the Zoom links for next Friday, both morning and afternoon classes. Thank goodness for that, I think I'd be pulling my hair out if I had to listen to some of the people in the morning class again.

Watched an episode of Line of Duty, as of tonight I'm now two behind. Will look forward to the cliff hanger.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
Watched an episode of Line of Duty, as of tonight I'm now two behind. Will look forward to the cliff hanger.......

Excellent last line at finish of previous episode too......  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
Good shopping trip there.

I haven't been in for a while.  Work still heavy although at least I'm fully vaccinated now.

Still trying to log all the sources I used to build my tree.  I have made some progress, although the idea that I am too stupid to understand research runs so deep it will never be enough to be acceptable.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:25 BST (UK) »

I haven't been in for a while.  Work still heavy although at least I'm fully vaccinated now.

Still trying to log all the sources I used to build my tree.  I have made some progress, although the idea that I am too stupid to understand research runs so deep it will never be enough to be acceptable.

Hi Pharma, haven't seen a post from you in ages.  Good you are fully vaccinated now.
I do feel for people who are still in the work place, but not able to work from home, the stress levels must be immense. For you and RTL, (e.g.) in the care sector, or retail, teaching and so on, all aspects of daily living are so fraught.
Great news you are making progress with your family tree research. I wish I had realised about logging sources when I first began, some 30 years ago. However when writing about specific ancestors during the first lockdown last year, I made a point of adding all sources at the bottom of each page as I wrote, and I am satisfied I have improved my work by doing that.
I tend to agree that using the term research may seem to aggrandise my efforts, but technically, any time we advise a child to "look it up" we are increasing their research skills, so I won't knock mine, and please Pharma, do not knock yours!!

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:43 BST (UK) »

Hi Pharma, haven't seen a post from you in ages.  Good you are fully vaccinated now.
I do feel for people who are still in the work place, but not able to work from home, the stress levels must be immense. For you and RTL, (e.g.) in the care sector, or retail, teaching and so on, all aspects of daily living are so fraught.
Great news you are making progress with your family tree research. I wish I had realised about logging sources when I first began, some 30 years ago. However when writing about specific ancestors during the first lockdown last year, I made a point of adding all sources at the bottom of each page as I wrote, and I am satisfied I have improved my work by doing that.
I tend to agree that using the term research may seem to aggrandise my efforts, but technically, any time we advise a child to "look it up" we are increasing their research skills, so I won't knock mine, and please Pharma, do not knock yours!!

it's other people who tell me I don't understand research process, called me"just a name collector", and accuse me of not caring about accuracy.  I think it should be called research, I have sought out sources, I have tested every hypothesis,cross referenced all sources and checked out anomalies.  i was kind of like you.  When I opened an Ancestry account I'd been researching for years and had boxes of sources and i didn't put those on ancestry as was overwhelming idea to go through all that.  I only started doing this as I caused offence because the ancestry summary had "too many people" and no sources so I "must have copied and pasted and stolen other people's trees".  I don't know how many sources will be enough but I am not even half way through my boxes yet and I hope the variety of sources is enough, been making a list to see how many different kinds of sources I have.  Work kind of gets in the way.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 April 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
Great idea to be keeping a list of all sources you can use.....that must be useful when you stall at a head banging moment.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 April 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
Such a shame about the eggs MH. Wildlife is wonderful to see, but I really worry about them when there are so many predators. (Including humans of course).

I’m disgusted to hear about the rubbish in the woods where you walk Roobarb. I think sometimes once someone leaves litter behind others see it as an invitation to do so too. Similar with graffiti. I don’t know how you can encourage people to be responsible and less destructive.

Good to see you back Pharma, and fully vaccinated.  :) Did you have any side effects with the jabs? Which one did you have?

Yes, a cliffhanger in Line of Duty. I did have to pause for a recap a few times as I was getting quite muddled about the characters, especially the names from earlier series. For any "fans" who haven’t already seen them, these are fabulous:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tv/6967800/line-of-duty-knits-martin-compston-adrian-dunbar/

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 April 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Such a shame about the eggs MH. Wildlife is wonderful to see, but I really worry about them when there are so many predators. (Including humans of course).

I’m disgusted to hear about the rubbish in the woods where you walk Roobarb. I think sometimes once someone leaves litter behind it encourages others to do so too. Similar with graffiti. I don’t know how you can encourage people to be responsible and less destructive.

Good to see you back Pharma, and fully vaccinated.  :) Did you have any side effects with the jabs? Which one did you have?

I had Pfizer, we didn't get a choice.  The first one I had a really sore arm for a couple of days and the first night I woke in the early hours feeling a bit feverish but i fell back asleep and was fine by the time it was time to get up.  Second one my arm was tender to touch but not as sore as before and was very tired the next day but nothing major.