Author Topic: 1939 register - redacted entries  (Read 1262 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 register - redacted entries
« on: Monday 19 April 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
I know that FindMyPast is updating (unredacting - if that is a proper word) the entries on the 1939 register on their site as they have confirmation that the redacted information has passed away or if they are over 100. Today I was looking up a family on Ancestry, where one child was redacted. Which I found odd since her birthday was 22 October 1920. She is shown, as expected on FindMyPast, the writing is very clear, impossible to mistake 1920 for anything else.
Is Ancestry not updating their 1939 register?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register - redacted entries
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
I believe that FindMyPast update regularly and as requested with proof of death, but Ancestry only update once a year. 

From the National Archives

"The version of the 1939 Register on Ancestry.co.uk will be updated annually to show the records that have been opened during the past year."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register - redacted entries
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
Yes FindmyPast as the digital dataset compiler and operator unredacts the relevant entries then every so often send the National Archives the updated dataset. The National Archives in turn sends copies of the update to their licencees.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.