Author Topic: Burial of different families  (Read 661 times)

Offline Colohare01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of different families
« on: Monday 19 April 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know why an infant dying in 1874 aged 6 is buried in a grave with a totally different family. The first one of them in the grave was in 1898. TIA

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of different families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
Name and more information might help to clarify, as it sounds quite strange. I'm assuming a common grave, but 20+ year burial range!!!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know why an infant dying in 1874 aged 6 is buried in a grave with a totally different family. The first one of them in the grave was in 1898. TIA

Difficult to be sure without a location but could Family A have buried a child there in 1874 but not used the plot (moved away or something) then 20 or so years later Family B purchased the plot and used it for their family?
Not sure how much information is available to you but what about the addresses? I have found a few burials in Belfast, Ireland where the only link with the 'odd burial' seems to be they all lived at the same address at different times.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
Celia found graves for me at Rake Lane Cemetery, Wallasey. There were a few cases of unrelated people being buried together, usually involving an infant. An economy measure?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 14:05 BST (UK) »

Many graves hold unrelated people, certainly for cemeteries a grave could be classed as 'public' - where the burial rights were not purchased and 'private' where an extra fee was paid for the right to have future burials in the same grave. Only private graves could have a headstone erected.

Perhaps the family couldn't afford to purchase the burial rights, so the child would have been buried in a grave that had space.

Are you saying this child was the first burial in that grave and subsequently x number of family members for an unrelated (to the child) family were buried there?

Without knowing which cemetery/grave you are talking about its difficult to try to find burial/ graves registers to check if the grave was ever actually purchased.

I am unsure of the dates this applied but have been told that at one time the burial laws stated that for public graves at least a 14 year interval between successive burials  was required unless the subsequent burial was for someone from the same family.

Boo

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
It seems quite common to me that unrelated people are buried in the same grave. But have you double checked that there really is no family connection? Just because the surname is different it doesn’t exclude that possibility.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Colohare01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies guys ..this is a grave in glasnevin cemetery in Dublin Ireland. I have checked addresses and they weren’t living at same address. I have checked whether related and they don’t seem to be. So I would say it was a case of public grave that was never purchased. Thank you all for your input.