Author Topic: 39th Foot Regt  (Read 534 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
39th Foot Regt
« on: Monday 19 April 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if the 39th Foot Regt Dorsetshire's would have been in Ireland between 1815 and about 1828.

I have a rellie who was married to a lady from Ireland, but I have no idea where in the country she comes from. I cannot find a marriage for them in England, so am assuming now that they married in Ireland.

I have just found attestation papers for a boy of the same name and age joining in 1815 aged 15 years in Winchester.

The eldest child that I can find for them was born in 1828 in Hampshire.

So if I can fit this Regiment into Ireland at about that time and where they were, it might give me a clue as to where my 3 X Great grandmother was born.
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 39th Foot Regt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
Just looking at newspaper mentions, the 39th was in Ireland 1819-1825.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, I take it that it doesn't mention where?
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 April 21 17:59 BST (UK) »
Yes there are many references to "where" - the regiment moved around from town to town at regular intervals. If you can access the British Newspaper Archive either directly or via FindMyPast, search the Irish newspapers for 39th Regiment.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank You
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 April 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, I take it that it doesn't mention where?

First Castlebar (Co Mayo), then Dublin, then Cork.  See: https://members.pcug.org.au/~pdownes/keenan/keenan_reg_history.htm

Regiment’s seldom stayed in one place for long at that time as since the 1798 rebellion they were used as a mobile security force during that period, when there were no constabularies.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I have now upgraded so that I can search the newspapers. Its just me learning how to do it now.
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock