Author Topic: Argentina Uruguay  (Read 495 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argentina Uruguay
« on: Monday 19 April 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Ethel (Flora) Bridger is in Finchley age 15, born Uruguay.  Birth is at Paysandu, with siblings also born there, easily found.
In 1911, after the UK census,  Mrs Ethel Plant with husband Rev. Thomas Plant and son Bede(born in Jarrow, mother:Thomas's first wife) and daughter Arminta/Aminta, return to UK.  They go out again at other times.

Rev Plant comes home from Argentina after 1st wife's death(in UK) in 1906, starts at a church in Norfolk, then goes out in August or September 1907 (16th according to newspaper article, from Southampton) to Buenos Aires, on the Magdalena.
My proposal is that Ethel and Thomas met on the boat out.  Maps show that Lomas de Namora (where Thomas's church, Holy Trinity, is, just south of Buenos Aires) and Paysandu (north along the Uruguay River) are about 300 km apart, with Buenos Aires and Montevideo being suitable ports.

They are on a few trees on Ancestry, with marriage place not found, but some state Uruguay.

Can anyone find either or both travelling out, or signs of a marriage anywhere. For preference I need the marriage.

Thanks for looking - I don't think I have missed anything obvious but am rather ignorant on South American countries. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Argentina Uruguay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Reverend, Mrs and Master Plant on the Magdalena, 15 August 1907

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2997/images/40610_B000555-00267
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thank-you very much for that, and my sincere apologies, first wife died in Lancashire, birth registered mar qr of 1909, so that was him going out with first wife (Hannah Isabel). I think I was seeing 1909 and thinking 1906.

So I still need a marriage out there to second wife, so where did they meet and did first wife travel back without him to die?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 April 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
Well, put a problem on here, get a useful nudge, have a think, try again, and solve it oneself.

To anyone who searches in future years, this comes up as an 'insecure site' but provided an answer:

http://www.argbrit.org/LdeZ/LdeZmarrs_1901-1915.html