Author Topic: Rev. John Taylor of Pittsburgh b. ~1753 Armagh  (Read 774 times)

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev. John Taylor of Pittsburgh b. ~1753 Armagh
« on: Monday 19 April 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find more information about John Taylor, who was first a Presbyterian minister and then Episcopalian reverend in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I have found many short biographies of him that say he was born in 1753 or 1754 in Armagh, and graduated from Trinity College, Dublin. He was known for making almanacs with weather predictions for the upcoming year as well as mapmaking and navigation.

However, the first record that I can find of him is Pennsylvania in around 1790. Her married Susannah Houston (nee Woodruff) and died in 1838.

I am trying to find anything to confirm his pre-emigration-to-America life (Armagh, Trinity College), but have't turned up anything.

I checked "Alumni Dublinenses : a register of the students, graduates, professors and provosts of Trinity College in the University of Dublin (1593-1860)" and don't see anyone that looks like it would be him.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!

Some links:

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Taylor of Pittsburgh b. ~1753 Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 06:22 BST (UK) »
The only place in Ireland that awarded degrees in the 1700s was Trinity College.  It did not award Theology degrees to Presbyterians, only to members of the Church of Ireland (ie Episcopalians). So if John Taylor was originally a Presbyterian Minister, he didn’t qualify at Trinity.

Until the 1840s when what is now Queens University, Belfast opened, all prospective Presbyterian Ministers normally qualified in Scotland (ie the universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews or Aberdeen (then known as Marischal College). Scotland was really the only place they could get an appropriate degree.

The Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast keep records of all Presbyterian Ministers in Ireland. You could check with them to see if they have any information on John (and that would usually include details of where he had studied).

http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com

Given his interest in astronomy, have you contacted Armagh observatory (founded 1789)? Perhaps they had correspondence with him?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armagh_Observatory
Elwyn

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Elwyn!

I guess I am assuming that his degree was Theology, but I do not know that for certain. I found this in  a sermon from 1869 about the history of the church that he had previously been part of:

Mr. Taylor, the first Rector, was a man of strong mind, more fond of Natural Science, perhaps, than of Theology. I am told by one who knew him well that so great was his love of Astronomy, that he sometimes spent the entire night in the open air, watching the movements of the Heavenly bodies.

I will contact The Presbyterian Historical Society and Armagh Observatory. Thanks so much for these suggestions, they are very helpful.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
It's a common name but, since he was interested in natural science, I wonder if he is the John Taylor who corresponded with Benjamin Franklin?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qjg/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 21:45 BST (UK) »
It's a common name but, since he was interested in natural science, I wonder if he is the John Taylor who corresponded with Benjamin Franklin?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qjg/

Thank you, I very much wish this was him, but he was not yet married at that time.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 22:01 BST (UK) »
Shame.  It would have been a nice connection to have.  Sorry it didn't work out.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis