Author Topic: Passmore or Pasmore family of North Molton, Devon  (Read 6340 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passmore or Pasmore family of North Molton, Devon
« on: Tuesday 20 April 21 01:27 BST (UK) »
My ancestors Philip Pasmore and Mary Launder married in Cornwall in 1781 and his 1802 burial in Penryn, Cornwall shows he was 55 and so born c1746/7. I couldn't find a baptism in Cornwall,  but there is a 1747 baptism for a Philip Pasmore in North Molton, Devon.

My Philip Pasmore in Cornwall had children whose names included Sarah, Joan and Henry. As this 1747 North Molton Philip Pasmore's parents were Henry and Sarah and he had a sister Joan, it seems this must indeed be my Philip. I have therefore starting digging around the North Molton records for Pasmores. And there are a lot of them!

I have found the original records are on findmypast but does anyone please know if a whole transcription of the parish registers exists anywhere please, as I can't find one.

I would also love to hear from anyone researching this family.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passmore or Pasmore family of North Molton, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 03:58 BST (UK) »
Not an answer to your question, but this site may be interest to you.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/NorthMolton/PassmoreFarms
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
The problem with the 1747 baptism at North Molton is that there are also marriages at North Molton for Philip PASMORE in 1768 and then again as a widower in 1770 - which could be the same man.
The marriage register states that Philip was of Penryn. I think I would be looking at the PASMOREs baptising in Helston around that time as a more likely option. North Molton is over 100 miles a way.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
Not an answer to your question, but this site may be interest to you.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/NorthMolton/PassmoreFarms

Yes that is indeed very interesting. Thank you for sharing that!

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:03 BST (UK) »
The problem with the 1747 baptism at North Molton is that there are also marriages at North Molton for Philip PASMORE in 1768 and then again as a widower in 1770 - which could be the same man.
The marriage register states that Philip was of Penryn. I think I would be looking at the PASMOREs baptising in Helston around that time as a more likely option. North Molton is over 100 miles a way.

I absolutely need to look at all the Philip Pasmores but the age and family names seem to match with the North Molton Philip, but of course more research is needed.

Those two marriage signatures in North Molton for those two Philips appear to be different so not the same man. Hopefully unravelling the Pasmores in future will help!

Thanks for commenting on this situation.

Offline Dalet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I have Phillip Passmore in my tree - he is the son of Henry Passmore and Sarah Stoneham. They married on the 25th Dec 1733 in North Molton.

I have Phillip marrying Anne Watts on the 4th Jan 1789 at North Molton.
I am certainly not an expert on these matters and am happy to be corrected.

I believe I am related to both Phillip and Anne.

Regards Dale

Watts Westcott Irwin Gammon - Devon
Marchment Gale - Wiltshire
MacLeod MacSwain- Raasay, Scotland
Gazzard Partridge - Essex
Grimmett Harris - Oxfordshire
Brien - London
Poyser - Staffordshire
Johns Morris - Glamorgan, Wales

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I have Phillip Passmore in my tree - he is the son of Henry Passmore and Sarah Stoneham. They married on the 25th Dec 1733 in North Molton.

I have Phillip marrying Anne Watts on the 4th Jan 1789 at North Molton.
I am certainly not an expert on these matters and am happy to be corrected.

I believe I am related to both Phillip and Anne.

Regards Dale

Thanks for the reply. I have started to look at the Philip Passmores of North Molton and it doesn't seen easy to be able to unravel for certain as there are a few of them!

What were the names of the children of Phillip Passmore and Ann Watts? Did they name children Henry and/or Sarah?

The 1789 marriage shows Phillip could not sign his name. A P. Pasmore who could sign is a witness but he witnessed various other marriages so was perhaps a church official rather than an immediate relative.

In 1792 a Philip Pasmore, a widower, married Agnes Cock. He could sign.

And in 1801 a Philip Pasmore, a bachelor, married Elizabeth Slader.

So these three men are clearly 3 different Philip Pasmores.

Philip who married Elizabeth Slader had a son Philip with her in 1811 and in the 1841 census Philip senior and Philip junior are together. Philip senior died in 1843 and his age shows he was born in c1762. He is aged 79 in the 1841 census.

The baptism records for North Molton show two possible baptisms:

1. Philip Pasmore son of John and Catherine baptised 17 Dec 1760.

2. Philip Pasmore son of John and Mary baptised 10 February 1761.

So here we can see there are two Johns having children at the same time too! 😱

The Philip who married Elizabeth Slader is presumably one of these baptisms and I would rather suspect that the other is your Philip who married Ann Watts.

For the Philip baptised in 1747 to have been the man who married Ann Watts in 1789 would make him about 42 at the time.

While this is possible as the Philip who married Elizabeth Sander was about 40 at his marriage, I rather suspect yours is perhaps one of the younger Philips born in 1760 or 1761.

To unravel it, all the Philips Pasmores and their signatures on the marriage records need to be examined. And that is a bit of a task!

I hope all the above makes sense.

Please let me know your thoughts,
Jon

Offline Dalet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

What I have is Phillip Passmore bap 1747 married Anne Watts bap 1750.
One child John bap 1789 died 1790

No other children seen.

Philip Passmore bap 1760 - son of John Passmore and Catherine Luxon - married Catherine Painter 18 Jul 1784 NM

The Philip bap 1761 - may have been the son of John Passmore and Mary Bright - and married Elizabeth Slader in 1801 - maybe!

Good luck with the research,

Dale

Watts Westcott Irwin Gammon - Devon
Marchment Gale - Wiltshire
MacLeod MacSwain- Raasay, Scotland
Gazzard Partridge - Essex
Grimmett Harris - Oxfordshire
Brien - London
Poyser - Staffordshire
Johns Morris - Glamorgan, Wales

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 June 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
I have spent quite a bit of time yestersay and today looking at all the Philip Pasmores in North Molton.

I have looked at the parish registers, nearby places and the National Archives search.

It is not easy to unravel them all and I still haven't, but I am going to put in what I have found here for any future researchers.

I know there is a lot of stuff out there in family trees and other websites, but I wanted to do it all myself from scratch without other influence.

I am going to put a post in here for every Philip Pasmore connected to North Molton I have found from 1672 to 1811. Each person can be commented on individually in the future.

I would love to hear your thoughts.