Author Topic: GARNHAM in Ipswich  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GARNHAM in Ipswich
« on: Tuesday 20 April 21 03:40 BST (UK) »
I searched unsuccessfully many years ago for James GARNHAM born Ipswich in about 1812.  I am hopeful that perhaps more resources have come to light, other researchers might be on the track or that DNA research in Suffolk might help.  Very little is known about his life.  He arrived in Australia 1838/1839 possibly on a ship called the United Kingdom, though he does not show up on the passenger list.  He married an Irish girl by the name of Margaret Smith and they had a large family.  Unfortunately, he then suffered delusions and ended up in an insane asylum.  His trade had been that of a tailor according to the asylum records.  The ship's name comes from the entry notes from the gaol where he landed prior to being sent to the asylum so its accuracy is problematic.  I would appreciate any nudges in the right direction please.  J

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: GARNHAM in Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 15:45 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry says that he was baptised on 18 Jan 1812 • South Lopham, Norfolk

And that his parents were William Garnham b 1789 and Ann Garnham(no maiden name given)

They say he married Margaret Smyth in Sydney in Nov 1841.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 22:14 BST (UK) »
I have a large number of Garnhams in my tree.  The earliest so far is Thomas Garnham, born 1524, Gosbeck, Suffolk.  The family remained in Gosbeck for several generations, at least until 1730.  My line next appears at Tattingstone in 1730.  These Garnhams arrive in Belstead in about 1800, which is a small village quite close to Ipswich, and eventually some of this family moved into Ipswich in the 1800s.  I've looked through my tree and can't find a James who would fit your chap, but that doesn't mean there isn't a link since I haven't developed many of the side branches.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.  The problem with the data on Ancestry trees regarding James Garnham is that there is guesswork involved and no evidence other than a coincidence of dates - but the wrong geography. If I came across a Garnham family tree in Suffolk (particularly Ipswich) with a child (James) born about 1812 who is missing from that tree I would say we could be on to something .  Yes, James did marry Margaret Smyth/Smith.  His death certificates (yes, he has two, registered by two different relatives) both indicate native place Ipswich. Both certificates agree with his age being 57 when he died in 1869 = born 1812. Immigration records are really good here - usually showing parents' names - but James seems to have slipped between the cracks.  There is a possibility of DNA being useful in breaking down this brick wall - but we would be looking for matches many generations back - not impossible but unlikely.  If a DNA Garnham match came up in or near Suffolk we could start building a tree DOWN from that match and hopefully scoop James up along the way. We have used that technique before to solve a long-standing mystery ancestor and, as a result, are now in touch with distant cousins all over the world.  Thank you both again!  I will keep looking.  Jennifer

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
You need to bear in mind that places of birth for people do change, depending on where they are living or indeed depending on what they want to admit to.  If he was living in, say, the village of Belstead, he would say in censuses and official documents that he was living there.  However, if he moved elsewhere it was often easier to name the nearest large town ie Ipswich as place of birth.  Ancestors are notorious for changing their birth places, dates of birth and suchlike, often because places and dates had less importance to them in those days.  A lot of people would just take a rough guess at how old they were.  And if he was in Australia I'm certain he wouldn't have bothered to name a tiny Suffolk village as his place of birth but would go for the nearest large town ie Ipswich. So I don't think you should confine your search for this particular James Garnham solely to Ipswich; and neither should you take the date of birth as fixed, but rather as a rough guide.

Best of luck with your search.  If you manage to link him to Gosbeck, Tattingstone or Belstead let me know as I have plenty of info on the Garnham line in those villages, none of which is particularly far from Ipswich.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you - and understood.  The key pieces of data I have are Ipswich and 1812 and the search gets fuzzy beyond that. With the occupation being “tailor” a possibility is apprenticeship records and trade directories - though as he emigrated at about age 35 perhaps he was not a successful tailor. His occupation after arrival was storekeeper/dealer and his wife was a dressmaker. Even his trade is subject to query as it derives from notes in the asylum records made on his admission and he at that time was apparently not lucid. I will keep chipping away!

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 April 21 08:22 BST (UK) »
If he didn't emigrate until he was 35, that would be about 1847, so he should show up on the 1841 census somewhere.  It's a pity the Suffolk parish records aren't online yet or you might have been able to pick up his baptism from those. 

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 April 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry, did my sums wrong.  Arrived probably 1838 (though this is not certain) so would have been about 26.   My head must not have been screwed on properly last night.  I am considering joining the Suffolk group but uncertain whether it will benefit me.  Exchange rate is not wonderful at present.  Thinking about it.   Jennifer

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 April 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
There's a useful page on FB called Family History in Suffolk which might be helpful in your search.  Lots of knowledgeable people on there more than willing to help.  In the meantime I'll look through my tree to see which side branches might be worth a look.

Regards
GS