Author Topic: Northumberland Archives - question and info  (Read 487 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland Archives - question and info
« on: Tuesday 20 April 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
I know it will be some time since anyone visited but can anyone tell me if they have a microfilm reader capable of taking a digital scan from microfilm?

As an aside I have noticed that they have slightly increased their copying charges, a digital image from a Parish Register (which I believe they have on a couple of pcs at Woodhorn) is now £5 rather than £4.50 ( still super value compared to a GRO marriage cert at £11) and their paper copies from microfilm are still £2 but the postage charges (in line with the price increases by Royal Mail) have increased to cover their costs.
As far as I am aware its the first increase in about 7 years so I am neither surprised nor dismayed by the increase.

Still good value all round for those who want copy records and the income helps the archives :-)

Boo

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Archives - question and info
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

They certainly had such a microfilm reader capable of copying but that was based on my visits prior to lockdown part 1.

Allan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan

I know they have a reader that will print out a paper copy, but wondered if they had one that will also scan so you can then download a digitial copy to a memory stick.

Boo

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Just spoken to a friend at the Archives, he tells me that all microfilm and microfiche are off limits when the Archives reopen for fear of contamination. Also, they do not allow memory sticks to be used by researchers on the Archives' machines in case of a virus (computer virus that is).

Allan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Just spoken to a friend at the Archives, he tells me that all microfilm and microfiche are off limits when the Archives reopen for fear of contamination. Also, they do not allow memory sticks to be used by researchers on the Archives' machines in case of a virus (computer virus that is).

Allan

Apologies for not replying sooner Allan. Thanks for the extra info.
Makes sense that its going to be a while, even after places re-open, for them to get back to things like microfilm being fully useable by visitors again.

Boo