Author Topic: Robert Dodds Scott and his wife.1  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dodds Scott and his wife.1
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 20:44 BST (UK) »
I think we are trying to help you decide whether they are the same couple. I have referred to your other post and also to other photos by the same photographer to attempt to get a close date.

Clothing is not the only way of dating a photograph. For example, the mount - note that these have squared corners but the link that I gave were curved. The curved ones were dated 1880. curved edges became popular in the early 1870s

I don't think that the men are the same.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks 'Gadget' for all your input. It is much appreciated. I think you are right. These images don't seem to be the same man, even though I'd very much like them to be. The time period your suggesting does work for the man concerned. The man in image 1 has a seriously injured right hand. Unfortunately, the man in image 2 has his right hand inside his coat. This could be to hide an embarrassment, or it could be just a pose.

My best hope is that someone recognises either or both of these images. Ever the optimist.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
These photographs are marked as being the work of Harris Son & Co., Merthyr.

Looking at old newspaper notices and adverts, the firm appears to have traded under the name Harris & Co. from 1871 to December 1877. From 1878 it traded under the name Harris Son & Co.

Robert Dodds Scott (born about 1802, Ancrum) died in 1873.

It would appear that the photo alleged to be RDS was therefore taken sometime after his death.

If anyone knows the identity of the man shown, please let me know. He's almost certainly a Scott from the Merthyr Tydfil area of Glamorgan, Wales.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 April 21 14:44 BST (UK) »
I gave Robert a light clean for you, he was looking a bit tired  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 April 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
and Dinah couldn't be left out  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 April 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
That brilliant. They both needed a spruce up. Thank you very much.

If you could get them to talk that would be great. I need to ask them some questions.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 April 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
Aw sorry, my crystal ball is packed  ::) ;D ;D
Glad you like them, they are worth saving.
Carol